46re transmission help

-
Sitting still in gear running will build heat in the tranny.

Get a manual for the truck.
I have a manual for it.... transmission that is! Haha
Thanks bud! I'm gonna try to get it up and running with as little work as possible I have a couple options.

Ok an update on the new project truck. I got all the brake issues worked out and finally got to drive it, it indeed isnt shifting. I checked the fuse/relay it is good changed it out just in case didn't help. I took a video of what it was doing but my dumbass forgot to hit record lol. But here is what it is doing hopefully some of you have had this problem and can point me in the right direction. I have a couple ideas but I want to see what yall say first.
It goes in reverse and drive good it is a good positive engagement it takes off good no slipping at all but it will not shift out of 1st gear it goes all the way to the redline and will never change if in drive and go back and forth from drive to 2nd while I'm driving it will change gears but then it will just downshift again when the rpms drop. I have no codes I pulled in my reader just to make sure it's clear. Any ideas?
My 2 guesses are either the transmission speed sensor, or the solenoid! Would either one of them throw a code?

Ok I have another question. I almost have the brake lines finished up so I can test drive and try and diagnose this transmission. Here is my question. Since the truck isnt insured, tagged and inspected I cant really drive it far so I'm just gonna drive up and down my road to test it out. I want to drive it cold and see what it does and then get the transmission up to temperature and drive it and see what it does. Since I can't drive it far does the transmission build temperature just idling? Can I put it in drive and let it run for say 30-45 mins ? Will that raise the temperature of the fluid just like driving it?
Another question
@Jadaharabi said the 46re is electricity shifted I have noticed there are several things electrical on this truck not working properly. One the tachometer isnt working the wiper sprayer isnt working and the wipers dont work right (fuses are good I checked) is there anyway possible these problems are linked? Something electrical is wrong and causing this stuff not to work? I'm sure how the tack and transmission would be connected but I figured it's worth looking into. Thanks

Slipping after 30 is an odd symptom, and not upshifting can be as simple as a bad solenoid on the valve body.
Those two could be related, though I don't know if it would throw a code or not.
E transmissions rely on a lot of electrical input and can do some odd things that are only electrically related and not mechanical.

If I were in your position I would pull the pan first thing and take a look.
If it's real clean inside it's likely an electrical sensor, solenoid or computer issue.

Slipping after 30 is an odd symptom, and not upshifting can be as simple as a bad solenoid on the valve body.
Those two could be related, though I don't know if it would throw a code or not.
E transmissions rely on a lot of electrical input and can do some odd things that are only electrically related and not mechanical.

If I were in your position I would pull the pan first thing and take a look.
If it's real clean inside it's likely an electrical sensor, solenoid or computer issue.
That is my next step. I forgot to mention I did check the obvious and the atf fluid is full it is a nice red color I don't see anything in it. I smelled it like I was told I'm not really sure what It supposed to smell like so I'm not 100% sure if it smells burnt or not. I will add I did not feel any slipping at all it even at high rpms it just wouldn't change gears. My next step is to drop the pan and look at the fluid and check for broken pieces.

That is my next step. I forgot to mention I did check the obvious and the atf fluid is full it is a nice red color I don't see anything in it. I smelled it like I was told I'm not really sure what It supposed to smell like so I'm not 100% sure if it smells burnt or not. I will add I did not feel any slipping at all it even at high rpms it just wouldn't change gears. My next step is to drop the pan and look at the fluid and check for broken pieces.

Same problem you have from a Dodge truck website.

"Ended up it was the speed sensor and some corroded connections."
There has to be some way to check this with a meter, no?
There is, take the speed sensor out and put an ohm meter on it. spin the speed sensor, if you get a reading it should be ok. No reading would be dead sensor.

-
Back