46RH rebuild?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Its been a while since I have posted, been working on other projects. Trying to get my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee going again and then I can finally start on my Barracuda. But anyways....

I was just going to install a Transgo reprogramming kit, the TFOD-HD2 using the gear command feature. When I drained the fluid it came out red, so that why I was just planning on the shift kit and reinstalling it. When I pulled the transmission pan there was a lot of black stuff coating everything inside. It was rebuilt less than 10,000 miles ago by a local shop and I'm sure they just thru whatever cheap kit to get it out of there. It shifted fine. But all the black material has me a little hesitant just to send it.

The engine is a 408 Mopar small block, I don't think its over 450 hp. It is a street strip build.

Now If I rebuild it, I was looking at Cope's "518-46RE-47RE Racerebuild kit 90up"

Right now the transfer case I'm using is full time 4wd so I can't do a burn out, so I'm really not worried about a bolt in sprag for now.

I would like to up the WOT shift point but as far as I know, no one makes a governor to raise the shift rpm for the 46RH transmission.

I was at least going to use the Transgo reprogramming kit TFOD-HD2, a billet aluminum accumulator (because the stock one is plastic), and a heavy duty 2nd gear band strut. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I rebuild it also at this point. I just wasn't planning on spending to much more money to get it going this season and plan on beefing up the internals this coming winter.

Not familiar with that shift kit as I usually just use their TF-ODjr.
I agree with getting rid of the plastic accumulator
I'm dead in the middle of rebuilding a newer version of your trans, the RE version. It has over 300k on it, was last gone thru around 60k ago. And just a basic rebuild then. I'm adding some HD parts this time like the superior and sonnax band strut, and billet servos plus sonnax HD spring for the OD too.
I put that ODjr kit in this trans when it was gone thru... Which was done only because I put a lower mileage engine in it and didn't know the history of that particular trans before I owned my Durango. It went out over the summer, and I stuck a junkyard one in that got me a whole 3 months. I ain't changing a trans that often (hell have you priced ATF+4 lately?) So I ain't chancing it with another one from the junkyard as I can rebuild this one for less than one costs these days from the yard.

I could tell right away upon putting the junkyard trans in, that I was missing the effects of that shift kit that it didn't have that the original one did. I'm rebuilding that original one now.
It went 314k I put the last 100k+ of that on it, so I know it has good "bones".
That Durango pulls my camper easier than the 4.7 in my 12 1/2 ton. (This Durango has a 360 mag)

Its been a while since I have posted, been working on other projects. Trying to get my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee going again and then I can finally start on my Barracuda. But anyways....

I was just going to install a Transgo reprogramming kit, the TFOD-HD2 using the gear command feature. When I drained the fluid it came out red, so that why I was just planning on the shift kit and reinstalling it. When I pulled the transmission pan there was a lot of black stuff coating everything inside. It was rebuilt less than 10,000 miles ago by a local shop and I'm sure they just thru whatever cheap kit to get it out of there. It shifted fine. But all the black material has me a little hesitant just to send it.

The engine is a 408 Mopar small block, I don't think its over 450 hp. It is a street strip build.

Now If I rebuild it, I was looking at Cope's "518-46RE-47RE Racerebuild kit 90up"

Right now the transfer case I'm using is full time 4wd so I can't do a burn out, so I'm really not worried about a bolt in sprag for now.

I would like to up the WOT shift point but as far as I know, no one makes a governor to raise the shift rpm for the 46RH transmission.

I was at least going to use the Transgo reprogramming kit TFOD-HD2, a billet aluminum accumulator (because the stock one is plastic), and a heavy duty 2nd gear band strut. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I rebuild it also at this point. I just wasn't planning on spending to much more money to get it going this season and plan on beefing up the internals this coming winter.

Black material in the pan can be/is normal.
Chunks of black is bad.

What makes the black pasty stuff is where the fluid pressure in the converter wears the aluminum fins.
Perfectly normal to see that in a trans.

Unscrupulous shops use that to scare customers into buying a rebuild they don’t need.
This is why some states laws made it illegal to show the customer the pan contents unless they specifically ask.

TF-based transmissions are known to run "dirty", there will always be some amount of black or gray pasty residue in the pan after the trans has been run for a while. Like @TrailBeast said as long as there aren't any chunks or shiny metallic-looking debris in the pan and the fluid is red/pink without any burned smell then it's been running the way it's supposed to.

I wouldn't hesitate to just install the TransGo kit and run it as-is. Good idea to also install a deeper cast pan (I know stock RH/RE pans are deeper than non-OD pans but cast ones are deeper still and aid a bit in cooling) and a nice big aux trans cooler if your Jeep doesn't already have one.

Thanks for the input. I haven't seen any chunks but when I dumped the pan out that I had the filter in, there was quite a bit of glitter. I know I'm going to abuse it, so I'm just going to get the rebuild kit. I already have a deep sump pan and a external cooler with a thermostat and fan along with the stock type cooler in the radiator. Shouldn't have to worry about it for a while then.

I always thought the black residue was deterioration of the piston seals, wearing the edges of them as the pistons move back n forth in their bores over the years and miles

Thanks for the input. I haven't seen any chunks but when I dumped the pan out that I had the filter in, there was quite a bit of glitter. I know I'm going to abuse it, so I'm just going to get the rebuild kit. I already have a deep sump pan and an external cooler with a thermostat and fan along with the stock type cooler in the radiator. Shouldn't have to worry about it for a while then.
Glitter is usually from the converter. Kim

Interesting. When I've seen glitter I've found worn out brass-- thrust washers, bushings and such though I've never cut a converter apart and just about always replace those anyway.

-
Back