470 going to the dyno - HP/TQ estimates

-
Do I understand correctly, did he replace the rear main cap?

Do I understand correctly, did he replace the rear main cap?
Yes, he replaced the aftermarket billet rear main cap I had on the engine with a stock type and used fel pro rear seal P/N 2947. We talked about this quite a bit and he said they have had the best luck with the stock style rear cap and this P/N rear main seal as the aftermarket billet caps have some tolerance variances. He mentioned a few things in regards to rear main leaks as they come up quite often. First, he mentioned that the dies for the rear mains seals are old and need replaced. (Said he brought this up to fel pro several times) Second, he said the temperature when they make the rear main seals also factors in he believes. Lastly, an important tip he mentioned to me is that you don't want to clock the seal so that it matches up with the rear main cap. You want to turn it about a 1/4 turn in the groove.

Not sure which change made the difference (Rear Main Cap, Seal, Position) but it fixed the leak for my engine. (Unfortunately had to pay the shop time to tear it down and put it back together) Hope this helps and let me know if you are interested in in a practically brand new (only run once) billet rear main cap. (LOL)

Thank you for the detailed response. Was he able to match a cap up or did you have to line bore or hone?

He had a number of them there, so I believe he was able to match one up.

The “cap” in question is just the seal cap…….not the main cap.
No line boring/honing required.

Last edited:
The “cap” in question is just the seal cap…….not the main cap.
No line boring/honing required.
Thanks for clarifying......Sorry if I confused anyone as I saw that I wrote "Main Cap" above.

Billet seal retainer is what it is, I use the Viton seal .
When I can I always use a Viton seal

Here is a picture of what was originally in it.

Capture.PNG

There was a few things but the worst of all was the rings butting and breaking the gap open wide. The engine had about 50 Dyno pulls on it though. The guy I paid to assemble it ( long story) just overlooked a lot of stuff. Head gaskets hung in the bore on some cylinders, the pistons are out of the deck .010 with .039 thick gaskets, the pistons were kissing the heads , the oil pump was partially blocked off from an fitting being in too deep. Cam Timing was advanced like 10 degrees, the rocker shafts broke because he put in the wrong bolts. Just a bunch of stuff .
Scuffed the pistons. I'm not remembering everything either.
Valve springs set up with some being 175 on the seat, some 140
Gonna disagree slightly on over looking stuff. If there were that many things wrong the guy that built it just didn't give a **** or is completely clueless. Either way shouldn't be building engines for customers.

-
Back