470 stroker shopping list

-
Yes, after reading a bit about E85, I have also come to conclusion that it would create some troubles down the road that I don’t really want to deal with. Locally, I can get 91 non oxy fuel, so that is what I am going to shoot for building this engine.

As far as the cam, I was once told that wet exhaust doesn’t like more than mid 220’s at .050 duration. I know the exhaust manifolds I am planning on using flow better than the old Chrysler logs.
I don`t know about boat cams , but I bought a 785 lift Camdynamics boat cam for a hemi, one time off of Steve Carbone, (boat engine and top fuel guru), it worked very well in my hemi superstocker. Sadly I don`t remember the duration.---P.S., Steve beat big daddy in top fuel back in 1971 at the world finals that year.

Just my luck, the Diamond pistons are backordered as well! At least that gives me time to play with rod lengths.

I got a hold of a guy that converts Mopar big blocks into boats. He claims to run an Isky 270 Meg Hydraulic in his engines. Does anyone have any experience with that cam? Is there a better roller cam out there?

I also found out that due to the adapters that I will have to run for the exhaust, that I need to run a straight plug. From the little bit I have found, the Source stealths are straight, and possibly one of the Mopar aluminum heads appears to be.

What would you all do with those? Buy stealth heads and send them IQ52 to fix up, and then build them up?

Here is the specs on the Isky cam...

Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,000-6,200
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221 int./221 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 270
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 270
Advertised Duration: 270 int./270 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.465 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.465 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.465 int./0.465 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 106
Computer-Controlled Compatible: No

This fella runs 1.6 rocker ratio, which gives him .494 of lift. This is also on 516 heads with a 1.78 exhaust valve.

-
Back