470 to 518 Header System Suggestions

-

maybrfd

Reaction score
Hi,

Am brand new to this site, but have worked on MOPARs for years. However, I now have an A-body (still wondering why) and she has been, well quite the "B" to work on.

I am currently running 2" TTI's to a 3" exhaust for a 400 (470) setup on a '73 Scamp. using a 518 transmission. We modified the header set up quite a bit initially, but still could not get around the steering linkages without dimpling (real close to the collectors). After a full race season and looking at heat loss at even minor crushed areas (in some cases over a 500 degree rise), am going to pull them and either modify some more, or switch headers.

Car is pretty basically stock up front, manual steering and manual brake setup. Did lower K-frame a 1/4" to try and clearance headers and oil pan a bit (Helped but by far not a total solution),

Am looking for suggestions from you guys (gals), who have had A-bodies for years, on possible new header set up. Am not real fond of fender well cuts, but am open if they flow and I don't have to pull everything out of the car to install them, fight plugs, burn up every other part of the car - think you get the drift.

Looking forward to meeting you and sharing info.

Thx!
Scott

If you can get pass cutting the inner fenders then fender well headers are great. They flow good and give you ample room around the starter and trans. Easy to change plugs and on a B engine they clear the master cyl by 2or 3 inches.

Attachments

• P7110057.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 128
  • P4060022.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 137
Cuda,

Very nice set up. Looks like the Hooker setup?

How close to brake system does that set get; also where do collectors fit in relationship to frame and torsion bars?

Thx!
Scott

-
Back