4bbl/linkage questions

-

hellfirechrome

Reaction score
I am picking up an Offenhauser 4bbl squarebore intake. I have a '66 Valiant Signet, 225 auto. I've already found a V8/Super six pedal, here are the parts I still need;

-Carburetor (I want electric choke, and maybe 350-400cfm? Squarebore to match intake)

-Carb throttle linkage (to match the V8 pedal)

-Kickdown linkage (I have heard Lokar makes a universal kit that's good?)

Advice on configuring this setup? Anyone have the parts I need? Thanks!

most if not all 4 bbl carb linkage is not the same as the 2bbl. just do the research. MOST important that it does NOT jam at WOT.

holley 390's are pretty nice. i ran one for years with great mpg and power.
when i converted to the 4bbl from the 2bbl i used the throttle cable holder and the return spring holder and bolted them to the end of my offy mainfold. it had the bosses like the stock manifolds to hold the intake and exhaust together.
lokar kits are good. took me about 20 minutes to install and adjust and hasnt given any problems yet.

Moe, the research is what I'm doin' here! LOL and good advice re: WOT

Rusty, thank you! That's what I needed to know. I have the super six pedal coming, now gotta find the firewall bracket and such. I will likely use the lokar kick down kit and throttle linkage; I have been looking around and I think I want to, instead, get a hyper pak intake. Am I nuts? I'd get a cam that'll leave me good vacuum for power discs, and headers. Warm Cali weather lets me skip carb heating....

well the research i did was factory parts books. that might be harder now days. it helps to be in good with a sharp parts man. the parts book for the year you are working on will tell you that a 318 2 bbl has a diff bracket than a 4 bbl on the same engine / year. a large batch of old parts books would be worth a ton of money. the MOST important thing about carb swaps is to be sure the throttle does NOT jam WOT. if you over rev a stock chrysler engine it WILL wipe out the piston ring. NEVER NEVER NEVER push a stock chrysler engine more than 500 RPM over top rated RPM.

I use an MSD 6AL, with a 6500rpm limiter chip. Will never over-rev! Also I am looking for a carb with vacuum secondaries, as I'm a pretty chill driver. Also, I'm not certain that it will make much difference which brackets I use, as apparently the lokar kit will mate to both! I wish I had a good parts guy, closest vintage-friendly parts broker is an hour away in the usual San Francisco traffic :/

-
Back