4sp vers auto shaft length

-

cudaman51

Reaction score
is the drive shaft length different between a 727 auto and stock 4 speed 67 and up a body car.

Yes the 727 is longer and uses a different yoke. A b-body a833 uses the same yoke and shaft length as a 727. An a-body with a 904 on the other hand is real close in length and uses the same yolk. Maybe you can find a shaft at the junkyard. I just got done swapping a 904 for a 4 speed in my duster so I just found this info out first hand. Good luck.

thanks. i just hapen to have a 904 shaft in my treasher colection so im geting of easy on this part of the swap.

The 4 speed shaft is longer, but the slip yoke for a 727 and a post-'66 833 is the same (30 spline). The 904 and pre-'66 833's use 26 spline slip yokes. U-joints could be 7260 (small, 2 1/8") or 7290 (big, 2 5/8"). http://www.brewersperformance.com/history.htm

This is correct,

The 727 and a-833 share the same yoke but not the drive shaft.

The 904 and a-833 share the same drive shaft but not the yoke.

There are a few different size u-joints and most 904's have the smaller u-joint but is fine for mild builds, those with bigger horsepower will or should have a custom shaft built anyway so the u-joint shouldn't be an issue.

Most pre 66 a-833's (all a-bodies, some mid size and trucks) are ball and trunnion u-joints so they don't have a slip yoke.

I use a small joint in the front of the driveshaft on my Scamp. You just need to buy a solid joint, one without grease channels in it and it will hold up fine. I've used mine with a transbrake equipped 3000 pound car running 10.60's so you should be fine.

that small joint thing is interesting, i learned something their. i was concerned about the small joint with the 4 spd wondering if i should make the effort to go big joint. im only going to be in the 400hp range with leaf springs so i guess i can use what i have. i have the parts to build a shaft with a big rear joint and small front

-
Back