4spd /6 Question

-

MoparorMopar

All go, no show
Reaction score
A friend of mine is interested in buying a 360 motor from me, but before i sell it to him i'd like to know if it would bolt up to his bellhousing. He has mounts for the motor already but he has a /6 with a 4 speed. I dont believe it is a 833.

Do you guys have any knowledge or links.

Im pretty sure that the 904's bolted to smallblocks (which also came on /6's correct?) so what is to stop this swap ?

No, the slant 6 has a different bolt pattern than a small block. However you should only have to swap the bell housing the tranny will still work.

I had a \6 A833OD 4spd in my 68 Barracuda. I swapped in a 360 in place of the \6 last summer. I just got a new bell housing, fly wheel and clutch for the 360 and used the same A833OD tranny.

the bolt pattern is different ??? what models would he be able to pull a bell housing off which would mate correctly with the OD trans ? along with the bellhousing id assume he needs everything under it including the flywheel ?

The bolt pattern on the back of the engine is different between a \6 and a small block (the big block is differnt from the othe two too). A bellhousing from any small block (273, 318, 340, 360) will be need to go between his tranny and the 360 you are selling him. The only mopar car 4spd trannies are A833's or A833OD, the bolt pattern to bolt the tranny to the bell housing is the same for all variants of the tranny. Only potential issue is if his car has the A833OD (over drive 4th gear) it has a much larger bearing retainer so the bell housing must have the bigger hole or have it machined or swap the bearing retainer that fits from another tranny.

The 904 tranny came with a different case for small blocks and \6's to accomodate the different bolt patterns on the block.

dgc333,

How well is the OD trans holding up behind the 360? I've been told they won't hold up, & I've also read where a guy is using one in a Super Bird. I don't care much for the wide ratios of the OD trans, but that .73 overdrive would sure be nice with my 3.91 gears.

:burnout:

There is no inherent difference in the strength of the gears between an A833 and an A833OD. The OD got a bad rap because on a tranny the is subjected to a lot of abuse will elongate the hole in the aluminum case the counter shaft rides in. This will allow the gears to seperate and eventually results in gear failure.

The fix is to have the aluminum case drilled out and have a steel bushing installed.

I only have about 4k miles on the car since the 360 swap so long term I can't comment on long term durability but so far with many smokey burnouts the tranny hasn't done anything that would concern me.

The wide gear ratio spacing is just not an issue with my build.

Also, the trannys bad rap comes from the way they did a small change. The lever for 3rd and 4th gear on the non-overdrive was flipped upside down for use on the O.D. tranny.
The O.D. tranny will shift into what was 4th gear on the older trans. for 3rd gear, then shift into what was 3rd gear for the overdrive ratio.
From what I understand, the 3rd gear isn't on the main shaft which would be a strong point. Apply to much power to the O.D. gear and it fails. It will take alot of power, but not abuse. The O.D. 833 is a good trans, but not for racing.
Ask Andrews for particulars.

3.91 w/.73 OD = 285
4.10's = 299

:thumblef:

I see, so if he pulls a bell housing from a small block vehicle with a 4 speed trans he should check to see if the bellhousing would mate with his tranny, any way i could check what tranny he has ? any dead give aways that i should be away of ?

he should check to see if the bellhousing would mate with his tranny,
The only "Cave-eat" would be the bearing retainer on the front of the tranny. Theres 2 (I tihnk) sizes. The bellhousing would have to have the hole enlarged if it is the small one to mate with a big bearing retainer. A Lakewood scatter sheild has a ring to reduce the size of the hole should you need a scattersheild.

A dead give away that it is an overdrive is the fliped upside down lever.

-
Back