4spd High RPM in 3rd Gear?

-

GupsTateS

Reaction score
I have a 4 speed A833 Transmission it seems whenever I shift from second to third the RPMS jump way up, and I have to immediatley shift to 4th, seems like I'm in 4th anything above 35mph. It seems to act fine in 1st and second, then when I hit third it acts completely different. Anything I should try looking at?

No tach, I can hook one up though. I just removed it to fix all the wiring behind the dash.

I really dont think it's an OD trans, its a 68 GTS 340 that was a former racer. It looks just like the other 833 I have sitting in my garage too. It could explain it though...

I also dont think its the shift lever on the trans being upside down as first and second seem to be doing just fine. Unless its going from second gear back to second gear, third is acting a lot like another second does from what I recall.

this may not even make sense, but it could it be some sort of close ratio trans if it came out of a race car?

this may not even make sense, but it could it be some sort of close ratio trans if it came out of a race car?

That wouldn't make sense though , going from 2nd to 3rd the rpm should decrease , not increase , either his clutch is slipping or something is not connected correctly .

lol there you go...it didnt make sense...i thought id raise a possibility lol

Call Brewers Performance and explain the issue. 3rd gear is the weak link in the 833 trans. Sounds like a shaft or something is broke, keeping it in 2nd gear like you explained earlier.

i have an all cast iron A body OD box in my car you cannot be too sure without checking. third would be a complete dog and fourth would wind out if the lever was backwards. something doesn't make sense.

I really dont think it's an OD trans, its a 68 GTS 340 that was a former racer. It looks just like the other 833 I have sitting in my garage too. It could explain it though...

I also dont think its the shift lever on the trans being upside down as first and second seem to be doing just fine. Unless its going from second gear back to second gear, third is acting a lot like another second does from what I recall.

It doesn't make sense logically is right but I do appreciate all the input.

I was driving it the other day and it seemed to act normal once in a while, so I'm thinking maybe something is broke and it's sometimes getting to third and sometimes not or something. Either way, sounds like I need to take this thing apart or put the one I know is good into it.

Sorry, haven't gotten around to putting the tach on it, it's been raining just about every day here and now it's getting ready to snow. Probably only have about one day of driving it left.

From a standstill, if you put it in third gear, does it bog down when you release the clutch?

its silly question but, have you adjusted the shifter? there is a procedure if you dont know. its easy enough with an allen wrench. otherwise i just cannot see how this is possible there must be linkage hanging up or something. typically if the trans is internally damage or broken, its broke. please keep us posted on this.

The shifter plates are worn or loose? Sounds like it is going back into 1st gear after thinking about this. If you shift carefully, using a clear H pattern, does it go into 3rd?, and if you use a shove it forward at a diagonal, go back into 1st?

sure your not going from 2nd back into 1st?

Ding ding ding ... I think we have a winner , he is either going into first , this is the ONLY way RPM would be HIGHER on a shift ... OR your clutch is toast .

get going about 30mph , put it in 4th and floor it , if the rpms go to redline and you don't really pick up any speed it's the clutch .

I think that is/was the case, something so simple. I got under the car yesterday since it was nice out and put it into third. And took it from a stand still in third and it acted like it should. Then to fourth and it acted normal. Went from a stand still in first and shifted to third and it acted strange again. Appearantly I can't get into third by shifting. At least not most of the time, since It did act correct a couple times the previous drive with it. Sounds like I have some adjusting to do, but no real issues.

And it is clearly not the clutch, If I'm going 30 in 4th gear and floor it it will throw me back in the seat I'm sure. It is not short on get up and go. It is easily the most powerful feeling (power to weight ratio) car I've been behind, far ahead of the 389CI 71 Firebird I drove a few years back, and at the time I thought that was monster. Although there is a timing miss for a second before it kicks in.

Just wanted to make sure I thanked everyone for their help, I'm very new to mopars, just finished my first full year with being into them. My car is now away for the winter as well.

Not at all, better than rebuilding a trans for sure. I'll get to it before the first drive in the Spring I hope.

-
Back