4spd insight

-

ef8340

Reaction score
tax season almost here and Im getting another parts vehicle for my dart. awhile back I found a 71 demon non 340 car but has a 340/4spd/3:91's. it was however a factory stick car so it has everything to convert my auto over to stick I think acouple of questions though

are 70-71 steering columns the same?

are the pedal assemblies the same, (besides having an xtra pedal for the clutch Rob:-D) ?

are the driveshafts the same between demons/swingers, not kinda sure with different wheelbases involved?

I'd also would like to install a pistol grip shifter which one would I need for a bench seat car?

Well I installed a 71-74 b body bench seat pistol grip and it works great in my Scamp

the steering columns are the same. the pedal assemblies will swap right over. the darts/swingers have a 111 in wheel base. demon duster barracuda have a 108. the driveshaft might be too short...

To use the pistol grip shifter, I believe you will have to use a lower boot from a B-Body. The boot for the A-Bodys has a round hole and it does not fit the shifter handle well, with it being rectangular. That is what I found with my Dart anyways.

I'm thinking the 70 column has the ignition in the dash and 71 was in the column,prob better chk that one out to make sure....

To use the pistol grip shifter, I believe you will have to use a lower boot from a B-Body. The boot for the A-Bodys has a round hole and it does not fit the shifter handle well, with it being rectangular. That is what I found with my Dart anyways.

I have a pistol grip and used the a-body shifter boot, I just carefully stretched it over the bottom and works great :burnout:

Here is a pic of my 71-74 bench style pistol grip in my 72 Scamp. When driving it, the shifter barely touches the seat in 2nd & 4th gear.

The column will work, but, the 70 is a one year only style. So, it's not the same.

I'm thinking the 70 column has the ignition in the dash and 71 was in the column,prob better chk that one out to make sure....

No, 70 was the first year for the key in the steering column. 69 was the last year for the key in the dash.

Check the wiring diagrams. They added the Buzzer in 71 that went off if you opened the door with the key in the ignition. It's an extra yellow wire in the steering column.

I found that putting a 70 Dash/wiring in my son's 71 Valiant.

It's not hard to add or delete that circuit depending on how you feel about it.

thanks for the pic and the other input, ill have the car within 21 days then i'll try out my wife new camera

-
Back