4x4 dodge issues but not like youre thinking

-

macho781988

your resident horses a$$
Reaction score
ok so my buddy fatboy got a 98 swb ram 4x4 with a 318, on a decent size tire i think its 265/75.16 and he says it wont spin tires on pavement or mud but hes getting 19 mpg. is there a traction control system that he can remove or turn off? and is the cad a locker style setup cause thats wat i understand it to be but i may be wrong as i often am. do any of you guys have this issues

Whats the gearing in the axle? The little 318 is going to struggle to spin big tires.

So aside from the 318 not having enough power to spin 31's , it seems redundant. You buy a 4x4 so you have traction, he has a 4x4 and wants it to spin? Wtf lol!

Tell him to go buy a 2wd and keep stock tires if he wants to spin the wheels lol.

but thats the thing, he stays in 2wd and doesnt throw mud he just crawls thru it, high gears and tall tires should just sit not crawl

I think it's doing what it should.

ive had 318s in 4x4 trucks that would"spin" better tahn my 2500 hemi id go with trans issue 265 tires are not HUGE at all. (seen 4cyl yotas turn over 35s before on pavement)

I'd like to know how he gets 19mpg in a 4x4 dodge lol. My ram 1500 4.7 with a 5speed overdrive trans has never gotten better than 15.

Those Yotas had pretty steep gears though to make up for lack of horsepower..........I think some of them were in the 5.38 range. My 99 318 will spin the one tire if I powerbrake it. My 91 had a 318 TBI in it and wouldn't even try to spin 265's!

i honestly dont know how he does it, i had a 92 f150 302 5 speed 4x4 that would spin 31s dry, im thinking its a trans isssue cause my bros old 97 2wd 318 5 speed would spin 1st and 2nd if it was done right. awd? the tcase says 2hi 4 hi n and 4 lo. but at the same time the 318 is small and my momsold 01 4x4 with a 360 was a down right piggy so maybe its justa dodge thing as fords of the same year will light em for days.

I have a 2001 ram 4x4 5.9 [360] auto it has 245/75/16s on it and it'll turn tires over no problem, gears are 3.55s, Dana 44 axles with posi. gears. I can't believe he gets 19 mpg [even when new they only got 12 city/16 hwy] i'm thinking his trans is messed up and he ain't doing his fuel math correctly!!!!

i think its off too but my 78 318 gets 15 when i was driving it all the time. dont know wat itll get when i get it running and road worthy this time

31"+ tire, no gears, no power and a couple of tons + in weight.....What are you expecting to throw roostertails like a mud bogger?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4iA2JmhPTY"]Big block chevy 4x4 with 54 boggers slinging mud - YouTube[/ame]

Want to burn rubber get a car. 4X4 are not designed to be a drag car.

so it has no power and tall tires and it crawls thru mud like a tank? hmm sounds like the perfect mudder to me then. still doesnt make sense

so it has no power and tall tires and it crawls thru mud like a tank? hmm sounds like the perfect mudder to me then. still doesnt make sense

Thing is....for mud tires to actually work they need to spin in order to keep clean...otherwise the blocks will fill with goo and be like a slick in the mud...Say what you want about it being the "perfect mudder" but it aint... Where I used to go play in the muck, the Pine Barrens in NJ, he would be getting stuck damn everywhere....no spin, tires pack and you don't go anywhere....simple mechanics...If he is just going thru hard bottomed deep water holes that is one thing but a true mudder needs wheel speed....and lots of it......

-
Back