5.2 Magnum exhaust manifolds on a Valiant?

-

joesnow

Reaction score
Has anyone used 5.2 magnum manifolds on a A body 1969? How much better do they flow than the old 340 ones? I can get them for $15 a side. I have 1972 340 E body drivers side and a ebody ? pass. Is it worth the differance? Or are headers the way to go?
1969 Valiant ,318,4bl,cam,4.10's, 4speed, lakewood bell,
(still in planning stage)
Thanks.

i have heard the magnum manifolds flow as good as 340 hp manifolds. there is a minor fit problem on the pass side the mag. outlet is further back and the flange either hits the firewall or is real close.

Heer is an article on how to install them on an early A. He uses the Durango/Dakota manifolds, so I don't know if they put the flange further back than a ram exhaust manifold or not. These would be chaeper than TTI Headers by far, I think these could be had even cheaper than the spitfire headers. I think performance wise these would be the worse of the other 2 mentioned above.
http://www.geocities.com/lars_an_artist/durango.html

Would you use them magnum then? The '72 340's, or headman headers? I want an inexpesnsive exhaust when I am done, but want power out of the little 318. Thanks.

The headers are going to be the best performance gain. The problem is they wil hang real low. So the the decision is up to you, if your sits low now, put those headmans on and you'll beat them up real fast. If you are careful and don't drive over speed bumps and railway tracks they'll last. I know there was an article written (Mopar Muscle) That showed the gain from 340 HI po, to magnum manifolds was very slight.

a street car,,ide use the magnum manifolds,,over the 1000 dollar dougs any day,...unless you can land a set of spit fires,,,
coat the manifolds with an exhaust coating or get them coated with a jet hot type coating,, and you will be money ahead,,,mild small block,,on the street,,in my opinion,,you wont see enough difference spending all that money for the over priced early A headers,,,

Keith Mopar said:
Heer is an article on how to install them on an early A. He uses the Durango/Dakota manifolds, so I don't know if they put the flange further back than a ram exhaust manifold or not.
http://www.geocities.com/lars_an_artist/durango.html

sure did NOT work on my car. 65 Barracuda, but it mite work on a 69. Pass . side was fine. the DS was NOT even close!

sb

mopar_nocar said:
sure did NOT work on my car. 65 Barracuda, but it mite work on a 69. Pass . side was fine. the DS was NOT even close!

sb
Yup I agree with you there, I tried it on my 65 as well with the same results. I tried 98 ram ex manifolds. The only think I could think of was that Durango manifolds are different. and are closer to the block on the drivers side, and turn down a little quicker!

so whats the deal,, do durango/dakota exhaust manifolds work ??? and are they differnt then the ram ?? or do none of the above work on an early A??

but i got a set of dakota/durango manifolds, at least that is what i paid for. they look JUST like the set in the article referenced above.

man was i disappointed. i ended up using a set 75 Dodge Dart manifolds i got off a buddy. probably don't flow worth a darn, but they got me on the road.

sb

PS 53010186

DS 53010187

i find those to be for the 5.2 and 5.9 motor in Durango/Dakota, unless i am missing something.

sb

In the Mopar Muscle article about the manifolds I'm nearly positive they were using a set of older Magnum manifolds for the test. The older ones (92-93) had a 2-1/4" outlet whereas the newer ones only have a 2" outlet. The newer ones may fit better since the outlet pipe is smaller but they don't flow as well. Since the artilce shows all the manifolds being within 10 hp of each other if I weren't going to use headers I'd use what fits the best.

anybody actually get this swap to work on an a-body at all? early, late or indifferent. i'd like to shake the hand of the person who could get my manifolds into my 65 cuda!

sb

I wanna try the stainless shorty headers on something with a little more room. Have any of you guys & gals tried Dakota stainless shory headers on a mild SB E or B body. I read a post about Jeep magnum headers and didn't know if they were the same design or different. This seems like a great choice for moderate performing 318s with good ground clearance....

BD

-
Back