5.2 Main Caps

-

Reaction score
I was wondering if a 5.2 magnum main caps can be used on 273/318/340 block, I'm thinking of upgrading my main caps on my 273 I was figuring if I was gonna do it, I need an oil pan for road racing so could get a 360 one cause 5.2 magnum uses a 360 pan that way if I upgrade to a 360 later I can use the same pan.

I was wondering if a 5.2 magnum main caps can be used on 273/318/340 block, I'm thinking of upgrading my main caps on my 273 I was figuring if I was gonna do it, I need an oil pan for road racing so could get a 360 one cause 5.2 magnum uses a 360 pan that way if I upgrade to a 360 later I can use the same pan.

No. Others may correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 5.2/5.9 Magnums were both 360 main size but with the one piece rear seal. So you can't use Magnum caps on a 273, therefore the 360 pans are out.

I think 5.2 main bearing the same size as 273/318/340 but they just changed the pan seal to match 5.9/360.

For the money,and what you want to do(mechanical roller /273).I would seriously consider Kilodon/Pro- gram caps.Milodon way easier to fit,Pro gram,unbreakable.Pain to fit.

What is the hp goal of the 273? IMO you'd be just fine with the stock caps and some good bolts or studs if its just going to be around 400hp like your sig suggests

It's not the Hp just I'm gonna spin it till 7500rpms on a road course.

What is the hp goal of the 273? IMO you'd be just fine with the stock caps and some good bolts or studs if its just going to be around 400hp like your sig suggests

x2 If you're really serious, Stud the bottom end. And if you're going nuts use a main cap girdle. You're not going to blow up your main caps, period. You're going to break a rod, walk the caps, break main bolts, or even crack your block long before your main caps come apart. That's assuming there isn't a defect in them. Which, Sadly, I'd be more worried about in the magnum parts than the older ones.

Edit: If you're turning 7.5k, use a damn good rotating assembly, balance it as tight as anybody near you can, and put all ARP bolts/studs in it.

It's not the Hp just I'm gonna spin it till 7500rpms on a road course.

In that case I'd look into the pro-gram caps if you think the stockers are gonna be a problem. Stock magnum caps will be no stronger than what you already have. And you will be needing a line bore no matter what if you change caps at all

I wasn't thinking of stock magnum main caps I was thinking of aftermarket but now I think about it they probably don't make 5.2 magnum style main caps only 273/318/340 La style.
Thanks for the info I think I'll stick with stock as long as they check out and go with studs and girdle.

here I found a 450 hp 273 winding up , sounds real nice [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4QKHtP63Bs&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube[/ame]

-
Back