5.25" Dash Speakers Installed

-

zpsull01

Reaction score
I am currently working on a 75 Valiant and wanted to upgrade the stereo a little. The car was already cut for a single din head unit and I had a pair of 5.25" speakers sitting in the garage. I laid under the dash and did a quick mock up.

I decided to use two of the speaker mounts to hit the original mounting studs. I just had to space these two at 11.375". It appeared that I needed to rotate the speakers slightly for clearance. I just eye balled this and didn't try to put a value to the angle of rotation.

After mocking it up on the table, I took a couple pieces of small angle and cut to fit between the other mounts. I then drilled these and bolted the two speakers together to create a single unit.

IMG_E3813[1].JPG

The unit mounted up fine under the dash and cleared the HVAC controls and mounts. I have put everything back together at this point. It appears that I rotated the speakers too much and now they sit a little further towards the rear of the car. The speaker frame ended up covering one of the defroster vent mounting holes on each side. I ended up just shaving that stud off the vent. The vents in this car weren't the best so I didn't feel bad about it. I don't have the head unit wired in yet to see how it sounds but it has to be better than the empty space that was there before.

IMG_E3815[1].JPG

IMG_E3817[1].JPG

Also I just want to state that I'm not trying to take anything away from those that make and sell the nice speaker mounts. This was a just trying to use what I had and cob something together in a couple hours in the garage type of project.

I am currently working on a 75 Valiant and wanted to upgrade the stereo a little. The car was already cut for a single din head unit and I had a pair of 5.25" speakers sitting in the garage. I laid under the dash and did a quick mock up.

I decided to use two of the speaker mounts to hit the original mounting studs. I just had to space these two at 11.375". It appeared that I needed to rotate the speakers slightly for clearance. I just eye balled this and didn't try to put a value to the angle of rotation.

After mocking it up on the table, I took a couple pieces of small angle and cut to fit between the other mounts. I then drilled these and bolted the two speakers together to create a single unit.

View attachment 1715716665

The unit mounted up fine under the dash and cleared the HVAC controls and mounts. I have put everything back together at this point. It appears that I rotated the speakers too much and now they sit a little further towards the rear of the car. The speaker frame ended up covering one of the defroster vent mounting holes on each side. I ended up just shaving that stud off the vent. The vents in this car weren't the best so I didn't feel bad about it. I don't have the head unit wired in yet to see how it sounds but it has to be better than the empty space that was there before.

View attachment 1715716667

View attachment 1715716669
Also I just want to state that I'm not trying to take anything away from those that make and sell the nice speaker mounts. This was a just trying to use what I had and cob something together in a couple hours in the garage type of project.

That's a great idea. I have been debating on how/where to mount my front speakers. I really didn't want to cut holes in the kick panels, but I am prepared to if needed.
I also thought about mounting them where the fresh air box vent connects under the dash. My cowl is filled in, so I don't need them. But then the speakers are pointing down to the floor.
I'm gonna steal this, hope that's okay.

That's a great idea. I have been debating on how/where to mount my front speakers. I really didn't want to cut holes in the kick panels, but I am prepared to if needed.
I also thought about mounting them where the fresh air box vent connects under the dash. My cowl is filled in, so I don't need them. But then the speakers are pointing down to the floor.
I'm gonna steal this, hope that's okay.

Go for it, that’s why I posted it here. I really think that 6.5” speakers may fit. If I was to do it again I would mount each speaker off the factory studs and the rotate them to the desired positions to get the tie link measurements. Should have done that this time but without seeing the whole thing in there it was hard to judge the amount of space needed.

Pretty cool.....seems like a lot of the speakers are covered though.

Pretty cool.....seems like a lot of the speakers are covered though.

I’d say around 50% of each is exposed. But it has to sound better than not having anything. If I had taken a few more measurements to better position them I probably could have gotten most of them under the grate. The original plan was to mount the tabs inline but the speaker frames would have hit the firewall. So I rotated them to clear and played it on the safe side.

I’d say around 50% of each is exposed. But it has to sound better than not having anything. If I had taken a few more measurements to better position them I probably could have gotten most of them under the grate. The original plan was to mount the tabs inline but the speaker frames would have hit the firewall. So I rotated them to clear and played it on the safe side.

Absolutely...and I'm sure sounds better than an original 6x9 or 4x10.

-
Back