5.2L or 5.9L (Magnum Engine)?? External Difference?

-

BrazilMopars

Reaction score
Urgent!

What is the difference between an external 5.2L and a 5.9L engine (Magnum)? I bought a 1998 Cherokee, and was wondering if there is any number in the block where I can really identify is a 5.2 or 5.9L engine!!

Hugs!!

Cast into the side of the block should be the size. I am not sure which side it's on but it is on there for sure. It will be on the side under where the exhaust manifolds are. There are no real external differences other then motor mounts I think but you can't tell by looking at them.

It will be on the side of the block on the drivers side. It will either say 318 which would be a 5.2 mag or it will say 360 which would be a 5.9 mag. The blocks are practically identical to the older LA motors. The magnum motors just have a different top end which is why I imagine they didn't change the castings on the side of the block to reflect the new designations.

Quick way to tell is the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine. If the ring is not symetrical all the way around, it is a 360. the 360 is externally balanced so there is an imbalance built into the harmonic balancer.

-
Back