5.7 hemi cam swap

-

joeboy

Reaction score
I am really looking hard at a cam swap for a 5.7 (as soon as I get one) I have a list of needed parts to delete the MDS.

Looks like push rods, springs, lifters with retainers, plugs and gaskets.

But looking at the bare block pics I have seen online, I am curious, can the lifters be swapped without removing the cylinder heads?

I would think so, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance,

JOE

If you look at this picture you can see the lifter retainers right above the cylinders and the head covers those retainers.

2010-09-28160742.jpg

Is not wanted to hear. But thanks, for the info, and the pic...

FABO rocks

JOE

if you don't go crazy on the cam you can use the MDS lifters then you won't need to pull the heads just spin the cam around several times before you pull it and it will hold the lifters up (severe tilt of the lifters and the retainers hold everything up.) Just make sure you disable the mds solinoids but leave them in the block.

I was thinking of using the comp cams 268, is that to much? I dont really mindf pulling the heads, I'd just rather not...

I was gonna put the MDS delete plugs in the block, would you not do that?

would the plugs with MDS lifters cause the lifters to collapse?

I was thinking of using the comp cams 268, is that to much? I dont really mindf pulling the heads, I'd just rather not...

I was gonna put the MDS delete plugs in the block, would you not do that?

would the plugs with MDS lifters cause the lifters to collapse?
They will be weak with the block plugs. The comp 268 is garbage and I would never use it Call PWR racing for a real cam.

Andy has been working with these motors for years

http://www.pwrparts.com/

That looks pretty sweet. Mid range torque, that's what every guy should have...

I really appreciate your help. I plan to run the F.A.S.T. or AEM standalone, not the factory ECU...

As far a disableing the MDS solenoids, if those systems dont use them, are they considered disabled? Or do I need to pull the intake and modify the actual plugs themselves?

Thanks in advance,

JOE

all I want to add is to use the 6.1 exhaust valve springs. And install them on all the valves in the 5.7. You will be good to go with 99% of the cams out there. Have you looked at inertia motorsports for a cam? I like there stuff, and run there parts. But I am not opposed to other parts . The place you linked to I'm not familiar with but that does not mean much. I mainly deal with ram guys. So that is what I know. If you have questions feel free to ask them I allong with johnparts have installed more cams than I think eather of us care to remember and can probably answer most questions you may have. Good luck and can't wait to see how it performes

all I want to add is to use the 6.1 exhaust valve springs. And install them on all the valves in the 5.7. You will be good to go with 99% of the cams out there. Have you looked at inertia motorsports for a cam? I like there stuff, and run there parts. But I am not opposed to other parts . The place you linked to I'm not familiar with but that does not mean much. I mainly deal with ram guys. So that is what I know. If you have questions feel free to ask them I allong with johnparts have installed more cams than I think eather of us care to remember and can probably answer most questions you may have. Good luck and can't wait to see how it performes
Andy use to be with Power Ported but went on his own cause they were screwing him around. I have had some strange things happen with everyones parts on these motors so I don't rule out anyones stuff. I haven't had what you would call really good luck with Inertia's stuff but it could have been a fluke I don't know.

Let me Add that Inertia's engines have handled a ton of power too though so Like I said my experience could have been a fluke.

NO... no it wasnt.
I have personally known the fine Texas Gent that owns Inertia. His name is Stu and he builds his engine Armageddon tough!
I run a custom grind cam of his in my Charger and I LOVE IT!

Andy use to be with Power Ported but went on his own cause they were screwing him around. I have had some strange things happen with everyones parts on these motors so I don't rule out anyones stuff. I haven't had what you would call really good luck with Inertia's stuff but it could have been a fluke I don't know.

Let me Add that Inertia's engines have handled a ton of power too though so Like I said my experience could have been a fluke.
that's cool. I have only had one problem with a cam from inertia. And once it was discovered it was replaced by stu. He is a stand up guy. I have installed a bunch of parts for people. And head and cam swaps from inertia have proven to make the most power. Vs the others I have installed. I will not name compay names as I will not bad mouth anyone. Stu has proven parts. As well as many other vendors. I just prefer his parts. With his help I held the title for the fastest 4 door hemi truck in the country ( a guy in canada was faster at the time) since then (after my truck was rear ended) several others have run much faster than I did. I cannot attest to every combo, but the 3 or4 that have since ran faster that I know of have run his parts. And I think there have been 5 or 6 that have beat my times now.

sorry to get off on a tangent. When it comes to your cam choice and install if you need any tips or pointers let me know.

NO... no it wasnt.
I have personally known the fine Texas Gent that owns Inertia. His name is Stu and he builds his engine Armageddon tough!
I run a custom grind cam of his in my Charger and I LOVE IT!
No I meant my bad experience could have been a fluke not the good ones

Stu is a pioneer in 3rd gen Hemi stuff Heck he built the first 426 stroker so he knows his Sh%& that being said I only recommended PWR because Andy has always stood behind everything he sells and has also built some record setting LX rides too.

yeah man I feel eather would be a good choice. For the OP. You and I have had different opinions on things and this is no different. We prefer different vendors. And that's cool. Otherwise it would be boring if everyone liked all the same things. I hope everyone enjoys there day. And until next time. Take it easy and keep the front tire up.

yeah man I feel eather would be a good choice. For the OP. You and I have had different opinions on things and this is no different. We prefer different vendors. And that's cool. Otherwise it would be boring if everyone liked all the same things. I hope everyone enjoys there day. And until next time. Take it easy and keep the front tire up.
Oh I agree everyone has their own choice to make heck some guys love Edelbrock carbs and some swear by Holley same difference here. I made 838 HP on an Inertia Motor with an F1 procharger and I've made 726 on a PWR motor with a D1 procharger so they both worked well for me.

I wouldn't put an Inertia product in my worst enemy's car if he paid me... but that's just me.

Oh I agree everyone has their own choice to make heck some guys love Edelbrock carbs and some swear by Holley same difference here. I made 838 HP on an Inertia Motor with an F1 procharger and I've made 726 on a PWR motor with a D1 procharger so they both worked well for me.
yeah thats cool i think that my little stock bottom end 5.7 makes about 500-550 to the wheels when i spray it with a 150 shot. that is in a ram with about 28-30% driveline loss. cant wait to see what it will don in the duster with a 727 and dana60

I wouldn't put an Inertia product in my worst enemy's car if he paid me... but that's just me.
care to go into details? if not thats fine too. i dont sell parts for them, i just like there stuff. i get nothing out of promoting them. i am just wondering what your issue was.

care to go into details? if not thats fine too. i dont sell parts for them, i just like there stuff. i get nothing out of promoting them. i am just wondering what your issue was.

Several. Won't go into it. In all fairness, I've seen all the 3rd gen vendors have their problems as these engines have evolved (I bought an '05 Magnum in '05 when you couldn't even get an aftermarket exhaust yet and have been deep in the game since). But theirs seem to be the most consistent. It's one thing to make a boo-boo but to deny the boo-boo is a whole nother animal.

fair enough. I'm right there with you I have been modding this motor since 05. I was one of the first truck guys to install a cam (at lesat known on the internet) and I have not looked back since. So I feel your pain on various vendors and their mistakes. But to say you would in wish a vendor on an enemy is a little harsh. Everyone can choose as they please. I don't want to see the hemi sceene here to end up like lxf or and of the other modern forums, that I used to be a part of. Vendor wars are not needed here too.

make sure if you remove the heads that you replace the head bolts. they are a single use bolt. i did a cam swap in my 06 5.7L Charger and if the motor is out its gonna be simple. i went with a Franks Racing ground Comp Cam. dont have the specs with me but its a fairly mild cam. i also agree that you need 6.1L valve springs.

-
Back