5.7 Hemi In 71 Dart

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted a 5.7L hemi conversion into an A-Body? THese motors arent too expensive and I'm considering putting one in my dart. I'm going to research the availability of a stand alone wiring harness to make it a little easier. Any suggestions or guidance?

I'm doing one in a 73 Swinger and a 67 Barracuda Notch! Well I say "I'm" it's really FRanks Racing doing it! PM or look up momsR/T and he's a co owner of franks Racing (FRI).

Jason

I'm doing a 6.1 in a 68' Dart. Engine and tranny are in. If you have any questions shoot me an email. I've been to hell and back on this project!

Good Luck!

John

[email protected]

I also am just about done with mine. MSD Ignition and a carb. Sweet deal, I should be ready to turn the key this week end. '68 Fastback, 5.7, 727, 8 3/4.

Cool what your plans are.
I know this has nothing to do with a 5.7 but what the hell, it's big and not mine!!

dus.JPG

How many snags did you run into sliding that thing in there? Also, what did you do for a wiring harness?

Here is a pic of mine. 71 Demon 5.7 hemi with 6.1 cam and intake with a 833 4 speed. If you have any questions ask away

resize Cema show 6-9-07.jpg

resize front.jpg

I wish we could archive this topic. It’s a good one and going to come up more and more since Chrysler isn’t going to take my suggestion and reproduce A bodies with this engine already it.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=23835

I just turned down a “good deal” on a 73 440 engine and trans today.
I wanted it. but my logic was with the good LA crates available and the possibility of doing this (5.7) there is no good reason to make the car nose heavy with a big block. (Unless all you plan on doing is going in a straight line. That’s legit)

Holy crap Gdemon, that looks awesome in there. From what I've been reading online, I'll need to spend about 1200 on the conversion kit from Schumacher and another 1200 on the stand alone wiring harness. Is that the route you took?

I'm collecting the pieces to put one in my 74 Swinger /6.I'm going the low buck route.Here is what I bought so far:
2004 truck hemi-free
pre 72 v-8 k member $25
Schumacher mounts $125
jeep grand cherokee manifolds $65
charger oil pan and pickup(notch k-member for clearence) $50
Charger flex plate(redrilled and ring gear cut off)$30
FAST XIM box and harness $700
Undecided on intake manifold but probably go with XV's $499
This should get it running in the car.Waiting to collect all the pieces before I do the swap.

Im doing a 5.7 hemi swap also. I really have only just begun, i have a 5.7 truck hemi that i bought kinda cheap and im using it to see what will fit where. Im using the alterktion up front and bought Bills Motor mounts, which turned out great. So far ive found all the tight spots.
Ive kinda decided to go with the complete truck setup, and possibly even use the factory airbox. Im kinda going for a factory looking enginebay though. I got awhile to decide on some of this stuff. I do want to use the tremec tko 5 speed for sure though. Having this cheap hemi i bought has really help. Later when i buy the 5 speed ill be able to see how it hooks up to the engine.

enginetopview.jpg

durangotubesml.jpg

Gdemon where did you get that radiator?

Heres a pic of my 5.7L thats going in my 68 Dart Gt...

I have the TTi headers, weldtech oil pan, and ttimotor mounts.

ahemi7.jpg

ahemi6.jpg

ahemi5.jpg

ahemi4.jpg

ahemi2.jpg

ahemi7.jpg

ahemi7.jpg

ahemi6.jpg

ahemi6.jpg

ahemi5.jpg

ahemi5.jpg

ahemi4.jpg

ahemi4.jpg

ahemi2.jpg

ahemi2.jpg

Holy crap Gdemon, that looks awesome in there. From what I've been reading online, I'll need to spend about 1200 on the conversion kit from Schumacher and another 1200 on the stand alone wiring harness. Is that the route you took?

I bought a uesd computer for 100 and the harness was 900. I used the Schumacher mounts 125 and 2005 charger exhaust manifolds 38 each at the dealer. Here is a pic of the modified k frame to use a stock 45 deg oil filter adapter.

resize oil filter.jpg

Gdemon where did you get that radiator?

Heres a pic of my 5.7L thats going in my 68 Dart Gt...

I had that rad made by Superior radiator in Mt Clemens Michigan. $300. and a fan from a 94 T-Bird $12 at the local U-pull.

resize side.jpg

Why do I keep seeing “700”, “900” and “1200” dollar “wiring harnesses”?
Ouch.
Sure is expensive wiring.
Why is that?
I notice Gdemon is running a Mopar box ignition.
I’m surprised.
I figured this engine would take some kind of multiple coil set up.
No?
If I can keep the Mopar K, torsion bar front end and use Schumacher mounts that is a big plus to me.

I was gonna use the oil filter relocation kit...will that work as well?

Why do I keep seeing “700”, “900” and “1200” dollar “wiring harnesses”?
Ouch.
Sure is expensive wiring.
Why is that?
I notice Gdemon is running a Mopar box ignition.
I’m surprised.
I figured this engine would take some kind of multiple coil set up.
No?
If I can keep the Mopar K, torsion bar front end and use Schumacher mounts that is a big plus to me.

The box is just there for the stock engine compartment look. The computer is mounted in the glove box.

I am going w/a carb set up. still using the coils as well. I'll have the MSD (ls1)ignition box and just re wire it to the 5.7L firing order.

What starter motor did you use with the tti headers? I am having starter fitment issues.

Thanks

-
Back