5.7 in 65 Cuda w/tube axle

-

BBachert

Reaction score
I've got clearance problems on the steering linkage w/new oil pan. Has anyone found any modified pans to fit this? The two options we've discussed are tunneling this pan or moving the linkage to the front of the axle. Neither is appealing.

Linkage to the front won't work for me because w/the tube axle, it will look ugly as sin. Tunneling will be a bit of work but that's probably the next step unless someone has a trick I don't see. My buddy had a 67 Hemi GTX he tunneled for a 10 qt pan so I've seen it done before.

When I put the axle under it in 1968, we left all the steering gear stock with the same attachments so this should be the same problem anybody else has encountered.

milodon makes a pan for the new hemi in an a body. the part number is 31000. You will also need the pick up tube. It should work for you if everything is in the stock location like you say. And as long as your axle is lower than the factory k member. It's worth a shot summit has the pan you could order one up, and if it dosent work return it.

OK, that's great because that sounds like it might work. The tube axle definitely is lower as it sits at gasser height and all steering parts/attachments were re-used.

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before this is done. I've been reviewing everybody else's posts here to gather as much info as possible, so....
Thanks

:worthles:

I've got lots of pics but they all get rejected for size. I've never been able to get them accepted.

Anyway, the engine is out of an '09 Ram truck. It looks like the Milodon pan will work but we've yet to determine the pickup tube we need so I won't order it until we figure that out. Also, we are still looking at the oil filter fit for possible kit. Single shipping.

Right now we're still blasting the underside and engine compartment. Then fab some motor mounts and start seeing what else needs reconfiguring. Obviously, the tunnel is going to be a huge cut. The AT is probably 50% larger than that old 4 speed. I don't know where the hell my legs are going to go with my 35" inseam.........

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 193
the motor in your pics is not out of an 09 1500. It could be out of a 2500 but not sure. Because you have the 08 and down timing cover and ballancer on it. And the 08 and down timing cover will not fit the 09 and up motors. I know that cover well. I have seen it probably 100 times since 05. And I know for a fact the 09 cover mounts the alt on the drivers side. And the ac compressor is mounted like the cars low on the block. The cover you have has the mounts for the alt and ac comp at the top. If it is an 08 motor the milidon pick up tube will work just fine. And I would assume if it is truly an 09 motor it's out of a 2500 (as they did not chnge the 2500 body style until the 2010 model year) them the milidon pick up will still work.

the oil filter can be deleted with the block off plate, and then use the 2 ports just above the filter on the block.

My buddy is a Chevy man and I haven't much exposure with the new hemi. My son has one in an '09 Magnum, and that's the sum of my history.

We got this engine and trans from one of my buddy's friends who told us it was from an '09. For the price we paid and the condition they "appeared" to be in since we could see the pistons, valves, etc., I didn't hesitate to buy it.

What I can't figure out is what kind of person spends a day or two polishing that trans but when they pulled it, if you look they snipped all the harness connections and then saved the now useless thing to sell with both. We were just baffled on that one but it wasn't a showstopper. Now I need a harness though so I definitely need to ID the block.

The body is in for bead blasting / POR the underside & compartment this week.....

As I've said, I'll probably be back with questions for the next month or so. We're looking at fabbing my Hedman's from the 273 to somehow work with this engine. They're like new and would continue the fenderwell exit. We hope to have it on the road by June.
Thanks for your help.

-
Back