5.7 L hemi into a 72 Dodge Demon

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I would love to install a 5.7 l hemi in my demon and get an overdrive trany.

Anyone know of a factory tranny and mount that will fit.

Rick

Hi everyone

I would love to install a 5.7 l hemi in my demon and get an overdrive trany.

Anyone know of a factory tranny and mount that will fit.

Rick
Welcome, and you should find a wealth of info on this site. You can read through my build (Tincup's 63 w/5.7) or 67 Dart Resto with a 5.7 just for starters. The tranny of choice is a 545RFE out of a late model Ram 1500 2WD. This will allow you to use a Diablo tuner to control both the trans and the engine. As for a mount you will have to fab up your own, but it is not that difficult.

Now get to work, we need more ****. Also, as Tin said, read those threads he posted, this will give you some direction and answer some ???'s you may have, but if you need help, as always, we're here for ya.

Here's a Demon that showed up in Michigan with a 6.1L. It sounded great.

6.1 Hemi in Demon.jpg

Hi great car, what type of transmission and crossmember did u use for this car, thanks for any help u can give.

I saw a new hemi package w/o the electronic and it has carbs..seems to me this would be the easiest.

Grassy

What size bell housing r u using. By the way great job

Im using a stock 833 4 speed and a stock crossmemeber

Gdemon, did you space the bellhousing off the back of the motor to make up for the additional crank offset on the Gen III Hemi? Or just ignore it? Or maybe the replacement flywheel takes that into account.

Hi

No Im using a stock 340 bellhousing with a mopar performance flywheel.

P1010207.jpg

G DEMON what he is asking is,,the hemis all have a longer crank,,and use a spacer between the back of the block and the bell housing,
did you use a spacer or is there a mopar engineered fly wheel to compinsate for the long crank shaft ?

Must use spacer when using an auto.

ive read that all the LA trannies bolt up but the one bolt doesent line up. i think people either drill it out for it to line up or dont use it. i think you need to modify your flywheel or get a specialy made on though.

Yes the mopar flywheel is engineered to compensate for the crank. Im using no spacers and all seems well. I have about 3500 miles on this setup. Im using a roller pilot bearing from a mag motor and had to shorten the input shaft on the trans about 3/4".

bushing.jpg

very kool that ma mopar has made a fly wheel like that,,,who has the spacer for the auto ?? thanks G DEMON

-
Back