5.7 rebuild

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Ok dropped the 5.7 eagle hemi off at machine shop Monday to have it all checked out to make sure all is well for build. Question is what pistons to get for it. It's not going to be a 700 hp 7k drag car. Nice street strip car looking to get around 500 hp with the stoke stroke , bigger cam , headers and not sure if carb or fuel injection yet. Anyway I'm rebuilding engine and I curious will the Mahle pistons be ok for it . I won't need forged I'm not going to spray it or turbo in the future. Also should I do main studs or just bolts. Also mine has mds and vvt so can I just get stock non mds lifter or will I need some aftermarket ones like comp cam. Do I keep the vvt or omit it. Another question is what timing chain to get. Is a stock one ok or need I go to a single roller or double roller. Looks like it all comes in a kit with tensioner and all. Any suggestions on what one to get. I assume just a new stock oil pump is ok. What oil pan fits best in my 70 dart and what dip stick tube. Thanks in advance. My buddy who is going to help build is good at putting engines together however he hasn't done a modern hemi. Anything to watch out for.

A bone stock bottom end is way good for 500. There's guys who insist the factory rods won't hold up, they will. Any more hp or rpm and you will definitely want to replace them. Same for pistons. You will be good with the Mahle. Either or on the studs. The factory TTY bolts hold 500 on the SRT 6.4 stuff. Usually with "bigger" cams, the VVT is locked out. As far as I know, the stock timing set holds up well at that level. I only have experience with the Milodon swap pan. Have had good luck. I see Holley makes a cast aluminum swap pan with a bunch of extras included. I would lean that way. Good luck with the dipstick. Lokar and Milodon make one. I modded a stock one to work with the Milodon. I haven't really heard any good about the available dipsticks. You can use stock non-mds lifters. Some will use Hellcat lifters. Supposed to be heavier duty.

A bone stock bottom end is way good for 500. There's guys who insist the factory rods won't hold up, they will. Any more hp or rpm and you will definitely want to replace them. Same for pistons. You will be good with the Mahle. Either or on the studs. The factory TTY bolts hold 500 on the SRT 6.4 stuff. Usually with "bigger" cams, the VVT is locked out. As far as I know, the stock timing set holds up well at that level. I only have experience with the Milodon swap pan. Have had good luck. I see Holley makes a cast aluminum swap pan with a bunch of extras included. I would lean that way. Good luck with the dipstick. Lokar and Milodon make one. I modded a stock one to work with the Milodon. I haven't really heard any good about the available dipsticks. You can use stock non-mds lifters. Some will use Hellcat lifters. Supposed to be heavier duty.

Definitely need new head bolts since tty. Are the main bolts tty if not I'd just reuse. So I should lock out the vvt no matter if I go carb or injection. Does the components of the vvt stay on engine..not really sure how to delete it..mds seems straight forward just plug holes and get non mds lifters. Not sure what cam to run to achieve 500 hp..thanks for the info.

All internal fasteners are TTY. Comp makes a lock out kit for the cam gear/phaser. The VVT depends on how big a cam you run. Because the VVT advances and retards the cam, you can run into valve to piston issues quickly with a big cam. Thus locking the phaser so it basically deletes the VVT function so you don't have those issues.

I am not sure how big a cam you need to hit the 500 hp mark. There are folks on here that have direct experience with that who can answer that question. There have been quite few people who have used the VVT 6.4 hemi cam with good results. If you go that direction you should be able to keep the VVT and not have to worry about locking it out. Not sure which 5.7 heads you have, but while you have the heads off a good performance valve job shouldn't set you back too far and should help you reach your goal.

Last edited:
I am not sure how big a cam you need to hit the 500 hp mark. There are folks on here that have direct experience with that who can answer that question from experience. There have been quite few people who have used the VVT 6.4 hemi cam with good results. If you go that direction you should be able to keep the VVT and not have to worry about locking it out. Not sure which 5.7 heads you have, but while you have the heads off a good performance valve job shouldn't set you back too far and should help you reach your goal.

I have the eagle heads. Engine is a 2014 and yes I'd have them give it a valve job ..may as well while it's out.

I am not sure how big a cam you need to hit the 500 hp mark. There are folks on here that have direct experience with that who can answer that question. There have been quite few people who have used the VVT 6.4 hemi cam with good results. If you go that direction you should be able to keep the VVT and not have to worry about locking it out. Not sure which 5.7 heads you have, but while you have the heads off a good performance valve job shouldn't set you back too far and should help you reach your goal.
I will be running this cam stage 3 HRT 224/234 comp cam, they advertise to use with stock pistons but upgraded valve springs and push rods. not sure if they make this in the VVT option. I sure they do its a popular cam of choice.

I will be running this cam stage 3 HRT 224/234 comp cam, they advertise to use with stock pistons but upgraded valve springs and push rods. not sure if they make this in the VVT option. I sure they do its a popular cam of choice.

Where are you getting cam from . Also should I lock out the vvt with a carb set up . You getting new aftermarket pushrods or stock ok

getting cam directly from Comp. lock it all out. I have new chrome moly push rods as well. call them talk to tech tell them what you are looking to do and they will guide you thru the water. if not ask pointed questions on here, the support on this site and over on moparts is awesome. if you can do it use the manifolds 408 swinger mentioned previously, unless you want to give tti $800 plus bucks for new headers like i did. but i wanted long tubes, so that was my choice. The support is awesome here.

getting cam directly from Comp. lock it all out. I have new chrome moly push rods as well. call them talk to tech tell them what you are looking to do and they will guide you thru the water. if not ask pointed questions on here, the support on this site and over on moparts is awesome. if you can do it use the manifolds 408 swinger mentioned previously, unless you want to give tti $800 plus bucks for new headers like i did. but i wanted long tubes, so that was my choice. The support is awesome here.

I just emailed them comp cam that is. It say 86 hp gain with the kit. I wonder if that is with stock manifolds. With the tti headers it should be close to 500 hp where I wanna be. Are you running a carb.

-
Back