5.7L Cam Upgrade & Theoretical HP Output Q's

-

4speeds4me

Reaction score
Found a 6.1L SRT8 camshaft for $80CDN (that's like 2 bucks USD!lol) and I read in one of the other threads here that the 6.4L SRT shaft is a great upgrade for the 5.7L. How's the 6.1L piece stack up? What kind of HP output would be reasonable to expect out of it? Will my original lifters work with it? I appreciate all the help guys!

Ive read that the duration and lift is not really enough to justify the conversion.

There are much better options out there..unless you can do all the work yourself....and even then its not going to turn the 5.7 into a ball of fire...

6.1 cam will work in a 03-08 5.7, but not the newer 5.7's.

6.4 cam will work in a 09-current 5.7, but not the older 5.7's.

Why the difference?

In my case I guess I'll have to look for a 6.4L piece or aftermarket, as I scored a 2013 non- MDS engine with less than 2000 miles...

Different cam design. non-VVT vs VVT.

The 6.4 cam is a solid piece. Get one of those. Check LX forums for details on the swap and to verify it fits. Or try modernmoparforum

Be sure to get the 6.4 cam for a 6 speed without mds. The auto version is different on lobes for 4 cylinders.

At $60-70 it's not a bad investment. Custom grind camshafts for these engines average about $800.

Ive read the 6.4 cam making anywhere from no gains to 35 rwhp. It's all in the tuning. Iirc the ones making power were not using the cam limiters or lockouts.

Be sure to get the 6.4 cam for a 6 speed without mds. The auto version is different on lobes for 4 cylinders.

At $60-70 it's not a bad investment. Custom grind camshafts for these engines average about $800.

Ive read the 6.4 cam making anywhere from no gains to 35 rwhp. It's all in the tuning. Iirc the ones making power were not using the cam limiters or lockouts.

Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain to me what the cam limiters or lockouts do?

The 09- present 5.7's have VVT: Variable Valve Timing. The ECM uses oil pressure in the cam phaser to adjust the cams advance or retard.

Phaser lock out keeps the cam from advancing or retarding at all.
Phaser limiters, limits the amount of advance and retard available.

I'll post some links later.

Yes you need to change the springs,

Personally I do not think the swap to the 6.4 cam is worth it, 6.4 cams are no longer 80.00 Mopar rasied the price to over 200.00 now, If you are going to spend the money for what is needed to do the swap why go cheap on the most important item that has the potential to make the most gains? all of our customers with a custom 5.7 cam and long tubes are pushing over 400 to the wheels

Is this Dave from MM? Will a 5.7 with your custom cam (pushing out over 400 to the wheels) pass smog certification in California? (2010 Challenger R/T, automatic trans with 6.1 exhaust manifolds and mids)

Personally I do not think the swap to the 6.4 cam is worth it, 6.4 cams are no longer 80.00 Mopar rasied the price to over 200.00 now, If you are going to spend the money for what is needed to do the swap why go cheap on the most important item that has the potential to make the most gains? all of our customers with a custom 5.7 cam and long tubes are pushing over 400 to the wheels

Have a friend who swapped his out...I can get his old one for $80.

However, what do you recommend for a VVT friendly upgrade for my 2013 combo? (I have 2 retrofits on the go, BTW...)

Is this Dave from MM? Will a 5.7 with your custom cam (pushing out over 400 to the wheels) pass smog certification in California? (2010 Challenger R/T, automatic trans with 6.1 exhaust manifolds and mids)

This is Chris I work with Dave, As for passing CA emissions I can not say for sure. I can say we have sold a few cams to customers who live in CA.

Chris, what kind of crank hp and tq numbers would you expect that cam to make on say an 09 truck engine with long tubeheaders and the variable runner intake?

Modern Muscle,

Could you please explain why that cam is so expensive? Not trying to be critical but want to know if some special tooling or materials are involved that explain nearly $800.00 for the cam.

I do find it amazing that a "nice street cam" has nearly .600" of lift. That's would have been considered an off road only cam a few years ago.

Thanks,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

72BBSwinger is correct. Also Comp Cams spent a lot of money have blank cores made just so we would have VVT cam options for the modern hemi so I guess they are trying to offset R&D costs

I do find it amazing that a "nice street cam" has nearly .600" of lift. That's would have been considered an off road only cam a few years ago.

Thanks,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Roller cam technology completely changes the landscape. The same goes for strokers. It never ceased to amaze me how a big-ish cam (296 adv [email protected]/.560") in a 360 (real lumpy idle, etc) sounded like a mild hydraulic in my 408, and run PB too...11"/hg at 700rpm idle...

-
Back