5.7L Hemi, 1968 Barracuda.. Opinions.

-

orange68cuda

3 Barracuda Member
Reaction score
So I have a 5.7L Hemi I got out of my buddies 08 Ram, the thing is in awesome shape but bone stock.. What kind of work can I look forward to if I were to swap my 318 for this engine? The car is a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback (Avatar pic) Skies the limit right? Just looking for opinions/experience from people who've done it or atleast have more knowledge than myself. Thanks for any help! :p

Go with the Hemi!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch what ya spend and were you spend it and you will have a ride that will be a blast, not to mention the cool factor.

408 stroker....3rd gen hemis are ugly looking IMHO ...only hemi that belongs in a 68 cuda is a 426
Granted the 426 Hemi is great in an A body.......if you only wanna go straight. Never have liked big blocks in A bodies. They just don't handle with that much weight up front! I'd go with the 360 bored to a 408 stroker if it were mine.

Hemi all the way!!!! :cheers: Here's mine!!!

tn_full_070408_11171jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

17274_1344798662292_1301020243_31009365_5445840_n.jpg

vbpgimage.jpg

So I have a 5.7L Hemi I got out of my buddies 08 Ram, the thing is in awesome shape but bone stock.. What kind of work can I look forward to if I were to swap my 318 for this engine? The car is a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback (Avatar pic) Skies the limit right? Just looking for opinions/experience from people who've done it or atleast have more knowledge than myself. Thanks for any help! :p

In order to replace your 318 with the simplest hemi conversion you can make with the least amount of money is,
a stock SB K frame
Motor mounts (TTI)
Oil filter block off plate and a remote mounted oil filter setup (TTI)
Headers (TTI)
Oil Pan (Center sump)
Special flex Plate and neutral balance converter (Hemi bolts right up to a SB 727 or 904)
MSD Hemi 6 and matching wiring harness
Stock coils
Carbed intake
Carb
Throttle cable and kick down cable
Manual steering box (power won't fit with the stock K frame)
Stock truck clutch fan with a smaller reverse rotation aftermarket fan (Flex a lite reverse rotation clutch fan)
You can use a radiator for a late model SB (1970-up) A body with a truck timing chain cover and a modified upper water neck (on the engine not the rad).

I think I remembered everything but no promisses!!!8)

great looking cuda hemijoejr!

still trying to make up my mind and i agree with both sydcuda and fishy.. 408 stroker wouldnt definately be cheaper and more time effecient, hemi would take some time and unfortunately more money.. how much hp is that thing throwing out hemijoe?

i think i might make building that hemi and getting things ready a secondary project and get a 408 stroker built sooner than later. especially since i can bolt that thing right in! thanks for the advice guys and ill let you know what happens!

great looking cuda hemijoejr!

still trying to make up my mind and i agree with both sydcuda and fishy.. 408 stroker wouldnt definately be cheaper and more time effecient, hemi would take some time and unfortunately more money.. how much hp is that thing throwing out hemijoe?

i think i might make building that hemi and getting things ready a secondary project and get a 408 stroker built sooner than later. especially since i can bolt that thing right in! thanks for the advice guys and ill let you know what happens!

It should be around 500hp. Still a 5.7L, I didn't srtoke it. I ran a best of 12.60 @ 110.8 with an awfull 2.07 60' time. 3600lb car w me in it. I ony had the car to the track twice so I have alot of tuning to go. I'm shootin for high 11s next year after my torque converter change.8)

Check out my build pics.

And yes I absolutely agree about the stroker motor being the cheapest way with the most power. I was lookin to be different.

I have a 360 you should use and sell me the Hemi. LOL
Actually the way hemijoejr did his is exactly the way I want to do mine. Old school looks with new age power. I also want to hook mine up to a TKO 5-speed just for fun! BTW hemijoejr did you have any clearance issues with the air cleaner? Looks to stick up thru thr hood.

I have a 360 you should use and sell me the Hemi. LOL
Actually the way hemijoejr did his is exactly the way I want to do mine. Old school looks with new age power. I also want to hook mine up to a TKO 5-speed just for fun! BTW hemijoejr did you have any clearance issues with the air cleaner? Looks to stick up thru thr hood.

Yup!! The air cleaner needs to move foreward to clear the wiper motor and the carbs are in a different place than the 426 was. I modified an aftermarket spun aluminum base and made offset studs to mount the air cleaner down through the stock holes. No it does not clear the hood. I'm lucky the hood scoop was there. I had a six pack on the small block I had in car originaly so I was going to go with an oval 71 style hemi air cleaner but I like the Chrome dome better. Fits the era.

At the risk of starting a war, Do you guys still run Windows 3.1 on your PC. ?, do you still play with your Rubiks Cube? Do you still listen to the hair bands of the 60's ? ( well OK I do too...). All the old engines are great, but their OLD, 50 YEARS OLD... It's time to get with the times, the new HEMI's have been out for 5 years now, and you can get anything you need for them to go as fast as you want. Ya, they might cost a little more, but hey, that 55" plasma TV your watching cost more than your old 25" tube, do you want to go back to that? I doubt it! The more Hot Rodders (especially Mopars) embrace the new technology, the cheaper and more pleantifull it will get ( Chevy LS1 ring a bell). So come on guys, ask you wives to borrow you testicles back and build something unique, not another 360 with rally wheels on it like every other Mopar out there. Just My Opinion.....

tincup, good point. luckily im single (own my testicles) and i think my cuda is far from ordinary.. custom dash, custom door panels, loud stereo system, lambo paint, and def. no rally wheels. I see your point loud and clear and thats why im questioning myself on this hemi motor i have, i want something unique but also dont want to spend 3 years building it.. decisions decisions!! thanks for everyones input.. definately helping me make up my mind..

I have a 6.1 hemi in my 69 barracuda, with a XFI 273 and a holley 650. It's reliable, starts regardless of the weather, and it's fast, plus it runs smoother than the w2 headed 340 I replaced. The 340 had a solid .528 cam and made similar power, but the hemi's torque comes on instantly, and doesn't go away. You can buy expensive new parts for a 340, or beat old part, but even used the hemi has almost all new parts. The w2 heads flow 270 cfm ( and that's a race head ) the 03-07 hemi flow 269 cfm. Reliability is the key. The new hemi is like a built 340 in it's stock configuration, as you build you sacrifice too. Hands down the new hemi wins.

At the risk of starting a war, Do you guys still run Windows 3.1 on your PC. ?, do you still play with your Rubiks Cube? Do you still listen to the hair bands of the 60's ? ( well OK I do too...). All the old engines are great, but their OLD, 50 YEARS OLD... It's time to get with the times, the new HEMI's have been out for 5 years now, and you can get anything you need for them to go as fast as you want. Ya, they might cost a little more, but hey, that 55" plasma TV your watching cost more than your old 25" tube, do you want to go back to that? I doubt it! The more Hot Rodders (especially Mopars) embrace the new technology, the cheaper and more pleantifull it will get ( Chevy LS1 ring a bell). So come on guys, ask you wives to borrow you testicles back and build something unique, not another 360 with rally wheels on it like every other Mopar out there. Just My Opinion.....

I have a 6.1 hemi in my 69 barracuda, with a XFI 273 and a holley 650. It's reliable, starts regardless of the weather, and it's fast, plus it runs smoother than the w2 headed 340 I replaced. The 340 had a solid .528 cam and made similar power, but the hemi's torque comes on instantly, and doesn't go away. You can buy expensive new parts for a 340, or beat old part, but even used the hemi has almost all new parts. The w2 heads flow 270 cfm ( and that's a race head ) the 03-07 hemi flow 269 cfm. Reliability is the key. The new hemi is like a built 340 in it's stock configuration, as you build you sacrifice too. Hands down the new hemi wins.

looks like it's all been said:violent1:

Go with a real Hemi. You can build a lightweight 572 all aluminum Indy Max motor @ 1000 H.P. for only $ 25,000.00!

I agree with all the stuff Tin and Gary say about the Hemi, new tech, very reliable...

I will also say, that for me at least, if you want the full benefit of new tech in a motor, you gotta throw that carb in the trash (or set it on a shelf with your extended spring shackles) and use the EFI, the initial payout may be bigger, and the learning curve is steep, But, the payoff for fine-tuning, power, driveability, startup, EVERYTHING is HUGE.

I cant see the $ into a Hemi swap then just throwing a carb on top...

JOE

Lot of hibernating threads getting revived lately.....anybody notice the dates before posting anymore??

I agree with all the stuff Tin and Gary say about the Hemi, new tech, very reliable...

I will also say, that for me at least, if you want the full benefit of new tech in a motor, you gotta throw that carb in the trash (or set it on a shelf with your extended spring shackles) and use the EFI, the initial payout may be bigger, and the learning curve is steep, But, the payoff for fine-tuning, power, driveability, startup, EVERYTHING is HUGE.

JOE

While its true that the current crop of carb intakes is not "ideal"...try telling a Drag pak owner that carb induction isn't value for $

Motor Details: Stock Short Block, Modern Cylinder Head ported 6.1 Heads, 358/240cfm @ .650 lift, Stock 2.08/1.58 Hollow Stem Valves, PAC Springs & related parts, Stock Rockers, Trend Pushrods, 5/16 x .080 wall, Performance Werks Racing Custom Hydraulic Roller to work with stock piston (no valve reliefs): 224/228 @ .050, .620/.640 lift , 112CL +2 , Drag Pack Intake, Proform HP950 Carb, Milodon Pan & Windage Tray, Firecore Prototype Coil Packs, 1 3/4 primary x 30” long dyno headers, ATI Drag Pack Damper, Meziere Remote Water Pump.

Dyno pulls were from 4500 to 6500 rpms.

Torque curve is very nice, starting at 472 ft. lbs. at 4540 rpm, peaking at 487 ft. lbs at 5258 rpm, then tapering off to 450.5 at 6454 rpm

Horse Power started at 408.1hp @ 4540 rpm & steadily climbing to a peak of 556.5 hp @ 6441 rpm.

FWIW - I'm happy to sacrifice 20ftlbs across the range for something I can tune in my own shed...I know what I'm doing with a carter carb, and something that is uncommon and more appealing to the eye.

And any myth about carb induction being inefficient is immediately dispelled by one view of HemiJoeJnrs car on you tube....

[ame="http://youtu.be/tb2xPxAkvs4"]302 Found[/ame]

Not to insult, or hurt anyones feelings but the 472 gen2 hemi retail for $17,199.00 ( the lesser of the breed when compared to the $25 grand motor ) It makes 530/530, and those big chambers with the .248 duration is getting on the edge of behaving in real world traffic, and summer heat. For 5 grand less the gen 3 426 hemi makes the same bhp, 10 lbs more tq, and idles all day nicely,even in below zero conditions and weighs almost 380 lbs less. That said some of us couldn't afford either. The gen 3 arrived for me at the most opportune time in history. I still had my car from high school, my wife got M.S., our daily driver FORD contour committed suicide, and blah, blah, blah...
I had a 73 challenger with a muscle motors 496 big block, and it was kind of tough to use as a street car.My new hemi, with a carb, and maintaining a highway speed of 75 mph with an old school tranny, and 3.23 gears, I'm consistently getting just south of 20 mpg, and the thing runs smooth. I had the chance to run against a Saleen s281, and my brother in-law said, I blew past him so fast the Mustang driver looked as if was panicking to bail water out of a sinking boat as he tried to shift through his gears.
Not everyone can afford the 25 grand engine, but if you can MOPOWER to ya!

where do i go to see your build pictures of your cuda. i'm putting a 5.7 in my 72 duster. could use all the pictures and info.i can get. if you run a 904 or 727 what stall do you need. will the reg. flex plate bolt to the crank and the trans bolt right up to the block without any adapter . when you wired up everything with MSD6 did you wire it into the old harness.
thanks

where do i go to see your build pictures of your cuda. i'm putting a 5.7 in my 72 duster. could use all the pictures and info.i can get. if you run a 904 or 727 what stall do you need. will the reg. flex plate bolt to the crank and the trans bolt right up to the block without any adapter . when you wired up everything with MSD6 did you wire it into the old harness.
thanks

If you READ my 6.1 retro fit thread..or ANY of the stickied threads...you'll get most of the answers you need.

But to shuffle things along - Your stall converter will be determined by what torque your motor makes and as such whatever cam you run, and whatever gears you run...

There's nothing hugely different in the bore/stroke of a G3 to make them behave much different to most old school small blocks...except they are much more efficient due to cam type, EFI and head design.

The Gen 3 will only bolt up to a small block 727.. Or a stick shift with mods.

Flex plate - Mopar Performance make the conversion flex plate and bolts. Some other suppliers claim you need a shim between the bell housing and block flange as well - but plenty of guys haven't used this. I'm going to find out in the next few weeks if its a problem.

MSD-6 - I have wired up my MSD 6.

Basically you remove the whole of the engine bay ignition circuit - dist, dist wires, ecu, ecu harness, ballast and re-route the ballast wiring to close the circuit.

You can retain the external regulator and the alternator harness.

Then you start from scratch...you only need a switched 12V and a good ground to run the MSD-6 ECU.

A MSD tach converter is you want to run your factory tach.

Aftermarket tachs will usually run straight off the MSD-6.

All other wiring to sensors etc is included in the MSD harness.

One question - If you are running the MSD-6...are you going with carb induction?

If not..you need a controller for the EFI as well as the MSD-6 for spark.

JOE
I know my upcoming budget will be 2 thousand, for 2013. So I wanted to go fuel injected, or overdrive trans, Until I found out that fuel injection cost big dollars. ( at least to me ) I thought about using a factory truck intake, and computer, but I was afraid of the limitations of a closed loop system. A "program it yourself" deal is fine, but those deals that are basically, more like a E-Carb, aren't they just closed loop. I certainly don't have the know how, or money to set a car up on a dyno, or even explain to somebody what I want. ( Can you see how my internal thinking is asking, " What's the bang for the buck factor ? " ) Same with the Transmission. I'm asking what's involved, Wiring, torque converter, internal parts, cutting welding, drive shaft. ( For a 518.) So anyway I'm at Ray Barton's shop investigating the eagle head deal, thinking maybe I can do that ? Meanwhile he's explaining how people are not understanding the ignition curves, and fuel injection values when they are setting up the new hemi. So most people are not see the potential these engine have. So he asks me, " Where is your timing at right now, and why ? To which I basically replied " Duh !" what ever sounded good on MSD's little CD set up, and I don't know why. Because the engine started, and ran smooth. So I guess my reply is " I'm going to work on placing the rear tires in the fender wells properly this year:eek:ops::eek:ops:

Attachments

• P1010006.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,694
  • P1010007.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,581
  • P1010008.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,515

JOE
I know my upcoming budget will be 2 thousand, for 2013. So I wanted to go fuel injected, or overdrive trans, Until I found out that fuel injection cost big dollars. ( at least to me ) I thought about using a factory truck intake, and computer, but I was afraid of the limitations of a closed loop system. A "program it yourself" deal is fine, but those deals that are basically, more like a E-Carb, aren't they just closed loop. I certainly don't have the know how, or money to set a car up on a dyno, or even explain to somebody what I want. ( Can you see how my internal thinking is asking, " What's the bang for the buck factor ? " ) Same with the Transmission. I'm asking what's involved, Wiring, torque converter, internal parts, cutting welding, drive shaft. ( For a 518.) So anyway I'm at Ray Barton's shop investigating the eagle head deal, thinking maybe I can do that ? Meanwhile he's explaining how people are not understanding the ignition curves, and fuel injection values when they are setting up the new hemi. So most people are not see the potential these engine have. So he asks me, " Where is your timing at right now, and why ? To which I basically replied " Duh !" what ever sounded good on MSD's little CD set up, and I don't know why. Because the engine started, and ran smooth. So I guess my reply is " I'm going to work on placing the rear tires in the fender wells properly this year:eek:ops: Also Carb don't think, they are profoundly stupid things, but they are not limited by parameters, only vacuum. I get 17 mpg, and only have maintenance, and slight tweeking issues once in a blue moon, but fuel injection would be nice.

-
Back