5.9 magnum cam in a LA318(roller)

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
I bought an 86 Ram D150 a few weeks ago. It has a 318 roller/727 and 9.25 (sure grip) rear with 3.23 gears. I'm wanting to build it for low end torque and fuel economy. Plans are to use an Eddy Streetmaster intake (already have) and spreadbore carb. Also I'll be using early Magnum exhaust manifolds. I have a 5.9 cam from a 95 ram 1500. Would there be any benefit to this cam swap or would I be further ahead to buy a new camshaft? Thoughts/opinions are appreciated

I personally wouldn't do that swap. First, it doesn't have the long snout for the fuel pump eccentric. Second, the magnum cams were ground for a 1.6 rocker ratio, so going to the 1.5 on the LA would give you less lift.

I personally wouldn't do that swap. First, it doesn't have the long snout for the fuel pump eccentric. Second, the magnum cams were ground for a 1.6 rocker ratio, so going to the 1.5 on the LA would give you less lift.
Do you have an opinion on what camshaft would possibly fit my needs/wants

Do you have an opinion on what camshaft would possibly fit my needs/wants
Honestly, for low end torque and fuel economy.... I'd stick with the factory cam. Doesn't sound as fun or cool, but it may be your best choice. I like the eddy streetmaster for your purpose, along with the magnum manifolds. To add more, I'd suggest curving the distributor and put in some initial timing to help part throttle response.

Honestly, for low end torque and fuel economy.... I'd stick with the factory cam. Doesn't sound as fun or cool, but it may be your best choice. I like the eddy streetmaster for your purpose, along with the magnum manifolds. To add more, I'd suggest curving the distributor and put in some initial timing to help part throttle response.
Thanks buddy. I really appreciate your input!

The cams are different.
The 318 roller will be more lift and mag is more lift @.432+ than the stock 5.9 stock cams that were only .410-416 lift based on a 1.6
The rt magnum cams were more lift than the reg stock mag 5.9 stock cams @.434+or something like that.. but with a diff duration than the 318 or 5.9 stock.

Milage would be the stock 5.9 , power would be the 318 or rt cams.

You can google this stuff and find it. A lot of people don't know the diff or that there is a diff. I had been researching this stuff myself a short bit ago and verified it... I even have a RT cam I can measure and verify as well. The 'some have oiling to the deck' not my 96, it has no oiling for la gear maybe a early 95 would.. lol

Simple math can give you a lift comparison.

Divide lift of the magnum cam by 1.6 then multiply that number by 1.5 for the LA rocker ratio.

Bolt on fuel pump eccentrics are available for the magnum cams.

My guess is the Mag cam is still a better profile than the .399 lift LA profile.

-
Back