5.9 magnum cam swap

-

CJP4130

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a cam swap in my 5.9 and I want to run the Hughes whiplash HMR2228ALN-7 but Hughes says 9.1 compression is too much for that cam. I've seen a few posts on here about people running that cam with no problems so can anyone explain where the problem lies? Anyone currently running this cam want to chime in? I will be running eddie air gap intake, holley 770 carb, tti headers and 727 tranny with 3k stall and 373 suregrip and think this cam would suit me. Here are the specs.

Intake valve lift 1.5 rockers .510
Exhaust valve lift 1.5 rockers .510

Intake valve lift 1.6 rockers .544
Exhaust valve lift 1.6 rockers .544

Intake duration @ .050 222*
Exhaust duration @ .050 228*

Lobe separation angle 107*
Intake centerline 102*

Intake opening @ .050 9* BTC
Exhaust opening @ .050 46*BBC

Intake closing @ .050 33*ABC
Exhaust closing @ .050 2*ATC

The posts I've read on here say the cam performs really well and sounds great in a stock 5.9 which is what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Clay

Don't buy that ridiculous overpriced hooha. Look at grind #722 here:

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/Hydraulic-Rol-Cam-Specs.html

Oregon will regrind your core to those specs. They will also change the lobe separation at no extra charge. They'll do a hydraulic roller regrind for 125. Oh and that will work fine with 9:1 compression.

Don't buy that ridiculous overpriced hooha. Look at grind #722 here:

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/Hydraulic-Rol-Cam-Specs.html

Oregon will regrind your core to those specs. They will also change the lobe separation at no extra charge. They'll do a hydraulic roller regrind for 125. Oh and that will work fine with 9:1 compression.

I don't see grind 722,that's o.k. ...These guys drop the hammer,on camshaft grinds. Basically, keep it around .520" lift,on stock valve guides. After a trim job on those,valve springs( Hughes 1110 ,and matching retainers). Mind you,wicked worked Magnums/R.H.S./E.Q. heads ,all seem to peak at around .525"-.550" lift. The difference,is in the knowledge & details.

The thing is I don't have a core cam to regrind as I want the long snout cam for mech. fuel pump, I refuse to run that mickey mouse adapter thing hughes sells but was going to run that cam if there is no piston to valve issues. Grind 722 looks very similar to the whiplash but I will have to order it as a new long snout cam.

The thing is I don't have a core cam to regrind as I want the long snout cam for mech. fuel pump, I refuse to run that mickey mouse adapter thing hughes sells but was going to run that cam if there is no piston to valve issues. Grind 722 looks very similar to the whiplash but I will have to order it as a new long snout cam.

Been there, done that..(don't ask.).You can run a L.A. roller" retro fit "cam. You want a cast iron gear on the cam,for the intermediate drive gear. You need to make sure of that. Why I rrecommended, a stock core regrind."You know ,what you get in return".

That's why I was gonna go with the whiplash if I could get it in long snout because it's about the same price as the retro roller or new cam from others. Im still unsure where the prob is with the 9.1 mag and that being too much compression for the whiplash cam, is it going to have valve to piston issues? I just don't want to make any mistakes as roller cams are pricey and so is a complete rebuild. I'm not looking for a real fast street car, just want it to perform decent and sound really good.

O.k. the long answer: it's livable, should smack some *** properly tuned. (J.M.O). You have some work to do....

Then call Oregon. They will have a core. You will still come out cheaper then Hughes.

-
Back