5.9 magnum flywheel

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen one in person. Is there any distinguishing marks or a certain part # to identify it? Thanks

I haven't seen one in person. Is there any distinguishing marks or a certain part # to identify it? Thanks

This what they look like. This one is out of a 2000 Durango. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Old Geezzer
Now I'm not sure why this is happening. You can this: bolt your flex plate to the crank and put the convertor in place and see if any of your bolt holes line up. Is it the same on both convertors? The other thing I heard done is to order a 904 convertor with the pads equal spaced for the Magnum flex plate. Maybe some one else will jump in on this. OG
OG and Fast, I went back to it today and OG you are right. If you play with aligning the flex plate on the converter you can center it . The bolt holes are 3/8 and the bolts are 1/4 this allows alot of play when putting the two together. Now that is the easy part. I took some pictures which I will put on here that show this process. However, I found something today that doesn't add up. I have a 318 with a 904 and everything I have read or seen on this site and others confirms that 318's are internally balanced and have a neutrally balanced converter, right? I have an aftermarket on the 318 with 3000 stall and it has been in my car about 10 years. Today while checking the aligning of the flexplate I just happened to turn the converter over and low and behold there is one weight on this converter. What is up with this?
Barracuda001.jpg

Thanks for the pic cuda67 but I actually need a flywheel for my 5 speed . I am running a T5 out of a 92 cobra mustang. Found them on line for around $300. was hoping to pick 1 up for cheaper.

Thanks for the pic cuda67 but I actually need a flywheel for my 5 speed . I am running a T5 out of a 92 cobra mustang. Found them on line for around $300. was hoping to pick 1 up for cheaper.

Well, darn, I guess I need to read better. Sorry, I just did the flex plate thing and that is all I am thinking. Good luck with your project. I'm gonna look around my garage today, my sons do Mootangs and I think they left a fly wheel from their last project. It wasn't a Cobra but it was a 1992. If I have one laying around I will PM you. They went auto.

I just went through a similar problem on a 98 half ton 5 speed. It originally came with a 318, but we changed over to a 360. The only parts store that offered a new flywheel for the 360 was autozone. I dont normally use them, but what they had was correct. You cant use a half ton as reference. Tell them its for a 3/4 ton, and they can get it. It was about 150.00.

Thanks Wilbanks. I will check into it. I am upgrading my short block to a magnum and my pre magnum 360 flywheel wont work.

The magnum truck flywheel is quite larger than the LA car one. What bellhousing are you using? I have one somewhere in my parts stash. I will take a picture of it when I find it. I need it for another project so I won't sell it, but at least you can identify one.

I am using a quicktime bellhousing. I need a 130 tooth flywheel and a 10.5" clutch. I found one on ebay listed for a jeep. I found a place on line called American Powertrain that will make a custom steel billet sfi rated flywheel for around $325. I think all the dodge truck flywheels are 143 tooth and wont fit my bellhousing. The odds of find a 360 jeep grand cherokee with a manual trans in the junkyard are probably pretty slim.

I am using a quicktime bellhousing. I need a 130 tooth flywheel and a 10.5" clutch. I found one on ebay listed for a jeep. I found a place on line called American Powertrain that will make a custom steel billet sfi rated flywheel for around $325. I think all the dodge truck flywheels are 143 tooth and wont fit my bellhousing. The odds of find a 360 jeep grand cherokee with a manual trans in the junkyard are probably pretty slim.

The flywheel I have is large and must be the 143 tooth one. I was planning to cut the flywheel OD down and install a 130 tooth ring gear on it and redrill the clutch mounting if the bolt pattern was wrong. The external balance holes in the flywheel would remain after machining, so the effect on the balance would be minimal. I have not done this but it may be an option if you want to "pioneer" it.

Mopar performance made a 130 tooth flywheel but it was expensive if I remember. Hopefully you can figure out what to do.

Cheaper to take a stock flywheel and it get rebalanced. Just give them the 5.9 flexplate as a reference so they know how to balance the flywheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back