5.9 operating temperature

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For those of you running 5.9 swaps, at what temp does your motor settle at when fully warmed up?

Once I changed radiators my temps went way down. But stock thermostat is 195 and 180 for performance. Temps shouldn't go much over that if everything is right.

190-195 is the normal thermostat for the 5.9.
Normal actual running temps on mine is 190-210 and 210 is where the fan comes on, but it only comes on if doing under 30 or sitting in stopped traffic.

Mine is usually in the 185-190 range. Has gotten to 200 a couple times in summer stop and go traffic. This is with 180 thermostat

190-195 is the normal thermostat for the 5.9.
Normal actual running temps on mine is 190-210 and 210 is where the fan comes on, but it only comes on if doing under 30 or sitting in stopped traffic.
is that a swap? or is it a stock truck?

is that a swap? or is it a stock truck?

1996 Ram truck motor in my 73 Swinger.

MagnumswapLA.jpg

Thermostat only controls when the flow starts, has no effect on high end of operating temperature.

IE the LOWEST temp the engine should run at is the thermostat spec.

Common mistake.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

As N/A I always thought mine ran hot, creeping past 200 with a 180 stat. I'm turbo now running E85 and it's still climbing up to 210+ in traffic. Obviously all the turbo components under the hood add heat. I just bought a high volume water pump and 160 stat. I have an electric fan, 3 row Champion radiator. I control the fan from a switch. Going to see if the pump and new thermostat help.

Thermostat only controls when the flow starts, has no effect on high end of operating temperature.

IE the LOWEST temp the engine should run at is the thermostat spec.

Common mistake.

What does it mean if your temperature never reaches thermostat's rated temp? Besides the obvious thermostat not working correctly? New radiator and now temps stay around 160. Have not drove on very hot day yet though.

Thermostat stuck open?

Gauge not calibrated?

My D150 aftermarket gauge never goes over about 165.
'69 440 with an unknown mild cam and headers.

I haven't even looked to see if there's a t stat in there, but it warms up fairly quickly.

-
Back