5.9 swap in 71 dart

-
Reaction score
Having problem car not starting every time. Car has compleete swap including computer. Hot wires said to put push button starter switch in. It's been done. Will crank one time and run but next time it turn over but not crank. If anyone has any info please help

I have electric fuel pump. It is working at right pressure. This the first swap I have done. All sensors new and injectors. Let it sit for a few minutes and it will crank.

Having problem car not starting every time. Car has compleete swap including computer. Hot wires said to put push button starter switch in. It's been done. Will crank one time and run but next time it turn over but not crank. If anyone has any info please help

Are you using The Hot Wire Auto - Hotrod Harness or a factory harness from a doner vehicle?

I had to connect Start 1 & Start 2 together to get continuous 12V from the key as the switch was turned to and released from the cranking position to the run position run or the car would do the same thing.

I'm using the hot wires engine harness. I put in a push button starter to have continous 12v to computer. I'll make sure of that tonight.

I'm using the hot wires engine harness. I put in a push button starter to have continous 12v to computer. I'll make sure of that tonight.

In that case just use the original ignition switch with both Start 1 & Start 2 connected. you wont need the push button start anymore.

The reason they used Start 1 & Start 2 in the first place was to bypass the ballast resistor , which induces a voltage drop. Bypassing it with Start 2 gives a full 12 volts to the ignition for easier starting, especially when hot.

I found an open ground on my oxygen sensor circuit, so the car went into limp mode after the 30 second O2 sensor warm-up time. Once I grounded it, it ran great.

I did use the fuel pump relay circuit to control my fuel pump, because it runs the fuel pump for a few seconds when the key is turned on to help starting.

A buddy who used to be a Matco Tool salsesman let me borrow his scanner. I would have been lost without it. I believe they make a system that uses your smart phone and a wifi OBD2 port plug in to do a much deeper scan function than the cheap over the counter scanners that are available. If so, it would bridge the gap between the cheap scanners and the $1k+ units like I had access to.

I have a friend who is helping me with some of the issues. I'll show him your text. Thks for the help

Still having cranking peoblem.we put in push button to start car. Took it for a ride. Shut it off. Went out 30 min later wouldn't crank. Let it sit about 20 min it died up. Got us both stumped. Got any suggestions. All sensors r new

Sounds like the starter might be bad to me...like it's on its last legs and then it dies when it has heat soak.

New starter. Someone said something could be hot and after cooling crank. Still trying to figure this one out. Everything on motor is new

New starter. Someone said something could be hot and after cooling crank. Still trying to figure this one out. Everything on motor is new
Keep it simple. Start with the basics. Check for spark during the no start condition. Check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail. That should point you in the right direction

Had a problem similar to this in 99 Dakota R/T. Turned out to be the plastic plate/sensor under the rotor in the distributor. Sorry, can't remember what it was called.

Found it. Cam sensor.

Last edited:
go to auto parts store and get a remote starter button/cable tool. hook it up to your starter and next time it does this, try the remote starter tool. i find that at times you say it wont crank then it wont start. does it not crank over or not start or both?

like jr samples would say if he was still around, " call me at br549 or text me at br1z1z, cause i am cornfused."

Please explain this statement.
Still having problem. Shut off car. Later will turn over but not start. Getting fire to plugs. All senskrs,sensors, and wires new. After about 30 min it will start. Doesn't do this every time.

When you have the no crank issue, put the key in the run position and use a set of jumper cables or whatever and jumper the starter at the solenoid. See if that makes it crank. Or you could do some diagnostics with a multi meter and see if you have voltage at the starter relay with the key in the start position. Then you’d know right away where to start looking.

My 71 is a retro mod. It has hot wires engine harness for fuel injection and computer. Am trying new distributor next. It seems like something gets hot and after cooling it starts. Not sure though

Found problem. Hot wires wire to coil was to close to header. I understand computer wires cannot take much heat. Cranks and runs fine now.

yup, not technical, but elementary.
- Good luck! - Have fun!

Will a hurst v matic shifter work on 46re trans or is there something I have to change on shifter because of overdrive. Might be bad shifter. Won't ratchet up when in 1st. It locks up

-
Back