5.9 valve seal install

-

siuauto

Reaction score
In think I need to replace my valve seals on my 99 ram. What's everyone using to compress the valve spring.

the likely hood of having bad seals on a 99 (unless its a TSB) are pretty low. what issues are you having?

I went to O'Reilly and rented their valve spring compressor. Once you're done, take it back and get your deposit back.

Worked at a O 'Reillys. Tried to use(actually bought that one). Locked up,on initial tryout. Threw that ,in the trash ,immediately. Ran down ,to the local Napa. Napa/K.d. tools(same piece),about 30-40 bucks.And well worth it. The last thing you want to do,is fumble with a bad tool with valve spring pressure
I am as cheap,as they get. Not here,not worth the frustration. I recommend ,buying/borrowing a Kd tools 2078. Night and day difference..

Thanks, the problem I am having is some oil consumption and on initial start up, I get a puff of blue smoke, but it doesn't smoke after that

most likely your bottom intake gasket, my 96 does the same thing and I know mine's shot, just not looking forward to changing it.

Yeah, doesn't look like a easy job. I know they are prone to going bad, I thought if those fail it would cause some drive ability problems not smoke. Thanks for your advice.

-
Back