-

reddishdsb

Reaction score
Got a chance to buy a 5.9 and tranny from a 98 Durango for about $500 are these motors worth swapping? And how much trouble to swap out a s6 to 5.9?

Got a chance to buy a 5.9 and tranny from a 98 Durango for about $500 are these motors worth swapping? And how much trouble to swap out a s6 to 5.9?

Yes the motor is worth swapping as far as the price I think 500 is a little high on the price. But just letting you know the swap does not include just the engine you will also need transmission rear end suspension and brake changes.

Can you hear the motor run how many miles are you planning on rebuilding also what car are you wanting to swap it into.

IMO, yes, good engines.

Now the /6 to V8 issue is easy, but does take some time to get the parts together which can be a bit of $$!.

Depending on the year car, trans Dapt has inexpensive mounts that use the early biscuit style. Creative engine services .com (IIRC) has swap kits. Mancini racing also sells them.

Then you have to get a trans for the V8 small block. You can not use the /6 or a big block trans. Then cut your drive shaft to fit. Or find one that fits the car, trans used and rear size.

In the engine bay, you will have to lengthen and shorten some wires. (No big deal right!)
The radiator should be swapped out for a V8 radiator. You'll be lucky to use the /6 radiator with success. And all the hoses that go with it.

IMO, an upgrade is rear springs and T bars are an excellent idea for street driven rides. The /6 suspension do OK at best. And then the brakes.

It can get a bit pricey. I did it but fade to keep the cost in my head. I used a 318/904 which was free. The rear 8-1/4 was $200 and the. I had to add everything on it except backing plates. The front remained drums. The rear springs I got from ESPO.com. They were a 1 inch over bend for a '74 Duster. The driveshaft was purchased used here IIRC.

After that, wheels, tires, electric fan and engine bolt in parts. Intake, headers, (purchased here at a good price.) Jegs exhaust kit @ 2-1/2 inches and a small Crane cam & a MP distributor. Also bucket seats, B&M shifter and Lokar cables. Small items are not listed like band clamps and gasket sealent, etc....

It was a fun car that sounded good and ran fine. Make a list (mine as a guide perhaps) and tally the cost. That should help you decide if the cost is worth the V8 rumble and fun.
It was for me.

Motor and tranny together 77k cant hear it run though. I have a 71 duster trying to decide what to do with it.

You have 2 ways to go. 1. get the computer control module from the Durango for control of engine & trans. Or there is an aftermarket system for adapting to A-body electrics. You will also need electric fuel pump for the fuel injection. Trans mount and tunnel would have to be modified for
2. Get the front timing cover, water pump, pulleys, distributor, and fuel pump to convert engine to LA style. Also need oil pan and pickup tube for rear sump. Then get a trany for LA engine and convertor/flex plate for the 5.9L engine.
I went with conversion to LA style since I had a 318 engine for parts. Well worth the conversion.

Addemdem to my post.

I was thinking LA engine when I wrote.

I am finishing up a 5,9 into a '79 Dodge Magnum now.
You'll sill need the engine mounts a d such as I listed before but for the engine, should you decide to forgo the FI parts, it's just a distributor, intake and carb you'll need. Headers optional.

I used a Eeelbrock RPM, 650 Thunder, MP vacuum advance distributor and hooker Super Comps. I didn't get the flywheel so I needed a B&M unit to mate to the Summit converter.

The Magnum engine is otherwise dead stock including the serpentine belt set up.

I've done a dozen Magnum swaps & I'm gathering parts to to swap 13,14 &15 for my 2 Shortbeds & my Longbed

I'm giving away some good 318 LA engines soon that's how much the Magnum swap is worth in power & MPG to me

I swapped one in a 71 Dart using a Crosswinds & the original LA A/C & accessories
I used this Alternator bracket from a 91 truck/van that mounts a Denso alternator & uses the the belts intended for the original application
SAM_3655_zpscdffd09b.jpg

Dodge, did you swap in the Wiring to run the FI?

No I set my 84' RamCharger up so I can convert to Holley/GM TBI in a matter of an hour or two My fuel lines are run & the pumps will directly swap out with no mods without dropping my gas tank

It'll stay carbed until I decide whether I go TBI or EFI
My CrewCab gets EFI as I'm fitting it with a newer 93 model cowl & dash with all the correct harness

I've helped a friend use a 92-3 Dodge Dakota Magnum style harness like was done in Mopar Action

This deal fell through now have a chance at an 86 360 motor and trans, are they good as well? what are the best years to look at for a swap?

-
Back