5.9L/360 Magnum - 1965 Plymouth Barracuda - Stock Fuel Injection

-

gwmax65

Magnum V8 Mopar
Reaction score
Hey fellow Moparians, just got a 5.9L Magnum recently from a '99 Dodge Ram 1500. I want to go with stock fuel injection on it for my 1965 Plymouth Barracuda, got all the wiring + injectors and such to do so. I do not want to retro fit a 46re automatic in there, but would rather use either my 904 or 727 automatic. I thought in the past I stumbled on a thread on here about someone pursuing the same thing, but ended up having issues with the ECM trying to figure out what to do to the motor as the older transmission made shifts.

Has anyone done this conversion out there w/stock fuel injection on their early/later A body? Thinking of getting a gear vendors later in life too.

I've also done a 318 Magnum swap into my brothers 1965 Plymouth Valiant 200, carbureted it.

Attachments

• 11232993_1666366640250142_5033438607596602727_n.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_5734.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 477
OBD-II vans came with 3spds. Usually the 6cyls are the ones you see with them, but 360s aren't that uncommon with 3spds either. It seems like they may well still be hydraulic too. Sure seems like at least up to '99 the vans had 727s with 360s and seems like the 904s were in it for the longhaul. Worst case scenario- one of those computers should make sure the motor is happy ahead the 3spd.

Infecteddog, so there doesn't need to be any communication from the ECM to the transmission for the motor to fire up and work properly?

I used the ECU from a 1998 Dodge Ram with 5.9 and a 5 speed from Solo Electronics in Florida. It didn't have the key fob security either.

Infecteddog, so there doesn't need to be any communication from the ECM to the transmission for the motor to fire up and work properly?
It'll fire up and run alright so long as it's not security. Security will need a bit more than just the engine harness and it seems like it's the fingerprint circular key that's security.

If there's cycle issues going down the road a tuner could straighten them out though the CEL may stay on/tripped. I mentioned the van PCM as that may be an inexpensive alternative if there are cyclic issues going down the road and I usually bring it up since they have the 3spds in them with the bell already clearanced for the CPS and all.

-
Back