#5 Main Bearing question for a 360

-

mistreta

Reaction score
I"ve got a fresh 408 that drips oil at the rear of the pan. I read in Larry Shepard's small-block mopar book that sometimes leakage is caused by oil directed to the rear main can cause leakage. His book says a special bearing
(has two groves) to direct the oil away from the seal. My 360/408 has clevite bearings, but I'm not sure if they are designed with two groves. Does anybody out there know?

Thanks
Tony
[email protected]

Would think the only way to know is ask the guy who put it togather

Do you know for sure its the rear of the pan leaking?Check around,look at your valve cover and oil filter adapter,make sure its not coming from above first,when they leak it comes down and apears its the oil pan leaking.I changed out oil pan gasket before looking for anything else and yes found out afterwards that was not the problem.

that special bearing is only available in std sizes I believe. At least it used to be that way.

are you talking about full groove rear main? Clevite has a full groove in all sizes. I thought that is was to keep more oil on the crank though, how would it help prevent oil leaks?

-
Back