5 or 6 speed manual behind new Hemi - Realistic Options?

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
It's a long shot, but I am getting to point where I can justify a "midlife crisis" car. :evil4:
Either going to get a new Challenger, 5.7 with 6 speed would be the basic recipe, or
Spend the money on an A body, with new Hemi swap.

It needs to be a stick car.

So, what are the manual options to go behind the new Hemi?

Passion has a new 5 speed tranny and its a beauty, but at 4500 a pop they are not giving them away.

You can find REAL good deals on 6 speeds out of Vipers, surprisingly, and even better deals on 6 speeds out of GM or Ford cars.

I have seen 6 speeds from Challangers with the clutch and everything for less than $3000 delivered.

The new Keisler RS600 looks like it will work well also.

After driving an '09 Challenger 5.7L 6speed with it's 28.6" tire, and 3:91 rear end, I bought a 5 speed TKO and bellhousing for a Gen3 Hemi for ~$1500. Found it on craigslist. A gent bought it new, but never installed it in his mustang. The newer Challenger is geared super short in 1 and 2, and 6th is too tall for me. Great for fuel economy in the newer, heavier Challenger, but not for my '67 Dart project. I think the ratios in the TKO I bought should work well with the 3:73 rear end and ~27" tire i'm planning on.

FYI - the viper 6 speeds have a taller first gear than the 6 speed that's in the Challenger. Viper is 2:66 vs 2:97 in the LC

It's a long shot, but I am getting to point where I can justify a "midlife crisis" car. :evil4:
Either going to get a new Challenger, 5.7 with 6 speed would be the basic recipe, or
Spend the money on an A body, with new Hemi swap.

It needs to be a stick car.

So, what are the manual options to go behind the new Hemi?
>Even smaller budget is the Turbo Supra 5 speed with a direct fit 5.9L Durango bh. I'm makin an alum flywheel,(Fidanza steel insert), to fit. Should be adequate for a 6.1L in a 2,300 lb., Jensen Healey. Good Luck, ateam.:burnout:X 5

I just went through this myself. I was deciding between:

1) a challenger tr-6060 pullout
2) a keisler tko 600 kit
3) Viper t56

I was dead set on the tr-6060, because I wanted the shifter extension that it comes with. The tr-6060 also has a mechanical and a electronic speed sensor output, while the viper t56 only has electronic. I scratched the viper t-56 because I've seen where the viper shifter comes up (right at the crossmember), and that wasn't appealing to me (too far forward). The viper t-56 has better gearing than the tr-6060 though. Granted, there are aftermarket shifter extensions that can be added to any T56, but I don't know prices.

The gear ratios on the 2009 Dodge Challenger are:
1st: 2.97
2nd: 2.10
3rd: 1.46
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.74
6th: 0.50

Viper T56:
1st: 2.66
2nd: 1.78
3rd: 1.3
5th: 0.74
6th: 0.50

TKO600:
1st: 2.87
2nd: 1.89
3rd: 1.28
5th: 0.64

The tko600 with a 3.55 and a 27" tire gives me a 10:1 first, and 2120 rpm @75 mph.

Anyway, it just came down to what I got a better deal on. I found an second-hand unused keisler tko600 kit, and I bought it. This should be a much easier install than either the 56 or the 6060.

Clevland pick-a-part had a tr-6060 they were going to sell me a couple weeks ago- tranny, bell, clutch, flywheel, shifter, linkage, hydraulics, pedals, all for $2000+shipping. I don't know if they still have it though.

Wow, I have some learning to do.
A-833 is out, if I am going to have EFI Hemi, I want at least 5 if not 6 speeds. Most of the daily commute is highway, morning are 55-70mph, evenings are same route, but 20-40.

If I go old school, the engine will be pretty close to stock. While I am an enthusiast at heart, I have an ecomodder side to me, so it would be fun to eek out some great MPG in the process.

There is the a 833 OD:
Some question the strength in 3rd and 4th.

>Even smaller budget is the Turbo Supra 5 speed with a direct fit 5.9L Durango bh. I'm makin an alum flywheel,(Fidanza steel insert), to fit. Should be adequate for a 6.1L in a 2,300 lb., Jensen Healey. Good Luck, ateam.:burnout:X 5
that's what I'm already driving since 2 years now w/o any problems. Still behind my 340 but this year behind the 6.1 ... ;-)

that's what I'm already driving since 2 years now w/o any problems. Still behind my 340 but this year behind the 6.1 ... ;-)
My memory is soo good....We used to call this "hot rodding".You take parts from other makes of cars, to build a better-budget car. In other words, the end result justifies the means. IMHO, ateam.

-
Back