5 or 6 speed ?

-

PistolGrip

Reaction score
I've had an a 833 4-speed with a 3.23 8 3/4" Sure Grip in my '66 Barracuda 360 for several years. I was thinking on taking it on some longer trips & am considering a 5 or 6 speed transmission that I believe would help cut down considerably on top end RPM's. My car was originally a slant 6, 3 on the column, so I have already cut & modifed the tunnel some for the 4-spd. Anyone out there who has put a 5 or 6 spd in a '66 or older A-Body? Are you happy with it? How much trouble & expense is involved?
Thanks!

I don't have any experience with an early A, but i used to have a low horsepower 5 speed car (not a mopar) and i was begging for a 6th gear on the interstate..so in my opinion, if you decide to change out to a different transmission, go with a 6 speed

I met a guy who specializes in 5 and 6-speed conversions at Spring Fling in LA. Geoff Gerko, 216-255-2027. Nice guy, ask him some questions. [email protected]

If the idea is to get your highway rpm down that can be accomplished with numerically lower gears in the diff. Nothing magic about overdrive. It's really just math and the overall final drive ratio (including tire diameter) will determine rpm at a given speed.

Now that I've stated the obvious, the advantage to 5 or 6 speeds is that you can keep your engine in the optimum power band. Big torquey engine in a light car may not need it. Still would be nice. Could be expensive.

You can drop your cruising rpm too low, you need something like 70-80hp to do 70mph, 6 speed has the advantage less rpm drop between gears but cost a lot more, 5 speed should get you what u want rpm drop on the hwy but still fun around town.

id wait for the passon A855 5 speed...it's comin...ya just gotta wait it out...i hope it comes out before i die though...would be nice..

-
Back