516 heads closed camber cc volume?

-

Zwap

Reaction score
My 516 heads on my 1966 383 2bbl (converted to 4bbl) needs a rebuild and here in Sweden there aren't that many cylider heads to choose from but I've found a couple of aluminium heads here that cost approx the same that it will cost to rebuid the 516.
I've read that the 516 head have combustion camber anywhere between 73-79cc and the aluminium heads I've found have 84cc.
I'm not looking for a high revving engine, I prefere low end torque and I'm worried about the 84cc would loose too much compression and that I loose low end torque with them.
Please help me do deside if I should go for a rebuild or buy the 84cc aluminium heads.

I'm from Sweden and I apologize if my English isn't correct.

Get the aluminum heads, flow will be significantly better, and just have them milled/decked to whatever chamber volume you want. S/F...Ken M

Your english is just fine. I've used the 516s a bunch. Good low budget head. The ones I've measured were always at least 84cc with a few individuals as large as 86ccs. I've read they were smaller but IMO this is the result of earlier valve jobs where the heads were milled. These used to be standard maintenance on the 60s engines so someone that didn't know what to look for might think the engine was factory. Depending what your long-term plans are you could probably get away a bit cheaper by not doing the exh seats. These heads had problems with core shift - so adding the 1.74 valve and the required larger hardened exhaust seats might be fatal. If you want the larger exhaust valve have them put on the existing iron - don't replace the seats with hardened. And figure the heads will be junk the next time they need valve work. The aluminum heads will cost a bit more new, and both new or used should be checked out by a qualified shop before you just bolt them on.

OK, thanks for the input and information!
That the 516 heads are at least 84cc makes me consider to choose the aluminim heads more than rebuild the old 516
But another thing I think of is the loss of heat crossover on the aluminium heads, I've had lots of trouble with leaning out when slamming to wot when I'd drove with blocked crossover earlier, this leaning out solved by opened up the crossover (another tread) and I'm not wan't to get that back.
I'm confused wich way I should go...

Last edited:
Quote: makes me koncider
You sure your not from here is FL?

Just went through this, my 516's were around 82cc although did have a previous cheap valve job but were not resurfaced. Installed 1.74 & 2.14" valves, hardened seats, surfaced 0.005" & came up with about 76cc. My machinist did say some hit water w/ hardened seats, most do not but can happen as mentioned. If it were me I'd check to see piston depth in hole, get head gasket cc, & see what you need. Can always machine the aluminum head but you must do the intake too and may have some little issues with the front & rear block rails.

aha, ok, consider...
Anyway, I think I'm go for rebuild.

-
Back