518 rear tailshaft seal the same as 727 trans.

-

mistreta

Reaction score
I have a leak in the tailshaft on my 518 transmission, does anyone know if it the same seal used in the 727. It was in the car when I bought it. Looks like there is a boot around the seal.
Thanks for looking.
IMG_5625.JPG

I have a leak in the tailshaft on my 518 transmission, does anyone know if it the same seal used in the 727. It was in the car when I bought it. Looks like there is a boot around the seal.
Thanks for looking.View attachment 1715408693

The 727, 518 and 618 all use the same seal.
Make sure the bushing behind the seal is not loose causing the leak or the new seal could also leak.
AND put a little grease in the back of the seal so the spring doesn't pop out when you install it.
I have seen leaks that when inspected I found the spring out of the seal hanging on the output shaft because it popped out when they drove the seal in.

Last edited:
The 727, 518 and 618 all use the same seal.
Make sure the bushing behind the seal is not loose causing the leak or the new seal could also leak.
AND put a little grease in the back of the seal so the spring doesn't pop out when you install it.
I have seen leaks that when inspected I found the spring out of the seal hanging on the output shaft because it popped out when they drove the seal in.
Thank you

-
Back