572 big block dyno test

-

AndyF

Reaction score
Ran a 572 all aluminum big block on the dyno a while back. Drag race engine, Indy block, Indy EZ heads, roller cam, Wilson ported intake, EFI port injection with big 4500 flange throttle body. Nice engine, lots of good parts including dry sump oiling. Made 860 hp at 7000 rpm. Runs low 9's in Belvedere gasser. Straight front axle car.
Engine is back in the shop this winter for a freshen and will get upgraded to 440-1 CNC 345 heads. Should pick up a little power from the EZ heads.

IMG_0508 (Large).JPG

DSC_4893 (Large).JPG

So being a gasser, is that a manual transmission deal?

Love that body style. The 66 and 67 Plymouth B-bodies are one of my favorite square body styles.

I'd love to see the before and after dyno sheets with the head change. Depending on the cam I would expect more than a little power difference, like maybe 100 HP?

So being a gasser, is that a manual transmission deal?

Love that body style. The 66 and 67 Plymouth B-bodies are one of my favorite square body styles.
Started off with a 727 transmission but was switched over to a Powerglide after the first season. Runs a little more consistent with the PG.

Depending on the cam I would expect more than a little power difference, like maybe 100 HP?

On my bench, and both equipped with 2.25 intake valves, cnc345’s flow about 15-20cfm more than cnc325’s………and that’s only at the higher lifts.
I would expect at 572” the added port area will be as much of a player as the increase in flow.
The exhaust ports of the -1/345’s are quite a bit bigger and flow quite a bit more than the EZ/325’s.

It’ll be an interesting test.

Yeah, I don't expect much power increase since I had really good luck with the EZ heads on my old 514. That engine made 900 hp and I've never had a 440-1 head engine on the dyno that has made that much power. But, that could be a corner case. The 514 punched way above its weight for some unknown reason. Perhaps it was a perfect storm type of combination?

I do think this 572 will pick up power from the extra air since it had to be sucking thru a straw. If I was going to bet on it I'd say the engine will step up from 860 to 900 but I could be wrong. I'm not sure we'll find out since I don't think the owner wants to put it back on the dyno. The car was running good, everything is staying the same except for the heads so they are just going to put it back together and go racing.

We have another 440-1 CNC 345 head engine going on the dyno in a few weeks so that will interesting. The owner said it made 925 hp on a different dyno. Sound really high to me but I guess we'll find out. I've never seen a box stock -1 make that kind of power but who knows.

I don’t know how it will affect the power numbers, but I can tell you that if the 345’s in question were run truly as they came from Indy, then some amount of flow was left on the table.

The seat work from Indy is a bit inconsistent, so some are just better than others.
The ones I’ve used/sold always got the seats recut and blended.

Ran a 572 all aluminum big block on the dyno a while back. Drag race engine, Indy block, Indy EZ heads, roller cam, Wilson ported intake, EFI port injection with big 4500 flange throttle body. Nice engine, lots of good parts including dry sump oiling. Made 860 hp at 7000 rpm. Runs low 9's in Belvedere gasser. Straight front axle car.
Engine is back in the shop this winter for a freshen and will get upgraded to 440-1 CNC 345 heads. Should pick up a little power from the EZ heads.

View attachment 1716196239

View attachment 1716196240
I think I've seen that car up here at renegade in Yakima WA. Nice engine

Yes, Yakima is the home track for that car. His brother runs a '56 Chevy with a 540 inch all aluminum Dart motor. I've tuned the Holley EFI systems in both cars.

Yes, Yakima is the home track for that car. His brother runs a '56 Chevy with a 540 inch all aluminum Dart motor. I've tuned the Holley EFI systems in both cars.
Awesome, thanks. Nice job !

It should be interesting. Sad that the owner doesn't want to dyno the new combo. He might ( and in my experiance, will) be leaving some power unfound. I agree with the 900 hp estimate, as i got 926hp out of 550 cubes with 440-1 heads.

In a private discussion with PRH some time ago, Dwayne said dynoing was much better than trying to tune at the track, despite my car being consistant. He was right . Since that conversation long ago, i have dynoed five combinations, and EVERYTIME have found power i would not have otherwise found. On top of that, problems were found during the dyno sessions that may have cost me a weekend of racing, which equals the cost of a dyno session for me . I hope this reachs the engine owner.

In a private discussion with PRH some time ago, Dwayne said dynoing was much better than trying to tune at the track, despite my car being consistant. He was right . Since that conversation long ago, i have dynoed five combinations, and EVERYTIME have found power i would not have otherwise found. On top of that, problems were found during the dyno sessions that may have cost me a weekend of racing, which equals the cost of a dyno session for me . I hope this reachs the engine owner.

So you would say then that dyno time is worth the investment?

This is true and valid. The dyno is a tool but, there are a few that can do well without the dyno. Having data acq on a car helps too! I know of many who dyno and then don't check anything and make adjustments BECAUSE they went on dyno and then their junk doesn't run the way it should. If a car isn't easy to work on (remove/install engine) then that's another reason to use a dyno.

So you would say then that dyno time is worth the investment?
If you care about getting what you paid for, absolutely! We tweaked my latest build from 950 hp to 982 hp, then found an average gain of 5 hp in the midrange by advancing the cam and giving away 5 hp at 7600 rpm.

I dynoed my 434" small block, it was the best money spent on the entire build, IMO.

-
Back