-

Rat Patrol

Reaction score
Instructions for cam removal include -

Remove accessories,
remove front cover
remove cam sprocket and chain
remove rocker gear and pushrods
rotate camshaft twice and the lifters will be "retained" in their bores.
remove camshaft

Questions:

1 - Interested in exactly how the roller lifters are "captured" when the cam is rotated prior to removal.

2 - Also, after install.....what actually happens to release them back onto the lobes?

Are they pushed back down out of the bores by the pushrods or?

3 - Lastly - do I need to "degree" the replacement cam from the Aftermarket?...............or is the grind quality good enough not to worry about it?

I can tell u from experience... Take the heads off and the lifters out to save urs self head aches.

I agree with Jason pull the heads. Yes degree the cam because most of the cam grinds I've dealt with a off a bit.

Some say pull the heads, others say no need. When ya spin the cam the lifters are retained in the holders. When you put the pushrods back in, the lifters will bottom out on the cam lobes. I would degree it, cant hurt anything and you will get all the benefits.

My 5.7 cam swap went just as described with the lifters/retainers/pushrods.. I left the heads on, it was a simple job on mine at least...

Joe

USCG - So where can the problems occur? ( Remember this is a6.1 with no VVT)

My 5.7 cam swap went just as described with the lifters/retainers/pushrods.. I left the heads on, it was a simple job on mine at least..Joe

Joe - so what action do you take after the cam is installed to get the lifters to "drop"?

Just push in the pushrods and they go back in place.

Yup, just as 5.7 said. They dropped back into place with the pushrods, no effort at all.

Joe

We do bunches and bunches of 6.1 cam swaps. We NEVER pull the heads. We swap the springs on the car. Spin the cam and get the lifters to suck up into the bore. They go back into place on their own. They pump back up on their own.

Only pull the heads if your gonna p&p them, otherwise leave them be and move on.

-
Back