6.4L Truck Hemi front cover and accessories

-

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score
I’m putting a 2015 6.4L Hemi from a truck in my 1973 e-body Cuda. I’m going to be using a QA1 k-member. Just curious if anyone knows if the front cover, accessories etc will all clear the k-member, and frame etc, if I use the stuff that came with this truck engine. Or should I start looking for a front cover from some other 3rd gen Hemi? Also wondering about oil filter clearance. There seems to be a lot more information on this a-body forum for 3rd gen engine swaps than the e-body forum I also belong to.

I’m putting a 2015 6.4L Hemi from a truck in my 1973 e-body Cuda. I’m going to be using a QA1 k-member. Just curious if anyone knows if the front cover, accessories etc will all clear the k-member, and frame etc, if I use the stuff that came with this truck engine. Or should I start looking for a front cover from some other 3rd gen Hemi? Also wondering about oil filter clearance. There seems to be a lot more information on this a-body forum for 3rd gen engine swaps than the e-body forum I also belong to.
Did you ever hear anything more about this?

Swamp D,
I have a 6.1 in a 72 Demon. I am running a HDK frame no clearance issues with accessories. I also have a Cuda so understand the real estate issues. I can send some pix if you want. Or PM me and I will answer best I can.

Swamp D,
I have a 6.1 in a 72 Demon. I am running a HDK frame no clearance issues with accessories. I also have a Cuda so understand the real estate issues. I can send some pix if you want. Or PM me and I will answer best I can.
Curious about this. Wondering if I run the QA1, if I still have to change the pan. Are the truck Hemi rear sump?

Mine is 2014 5.7. Wondering if the $500-ish is better spent on the QA1 and a stock (rear sump) pan vs the $300+ on the Milodon. Haven’t heard stellar reviews about the aftermarket pans.

Just my opinion regardless of vendor choice HDK ( my preference) QA1 or Gerst all of them are pretty nicely built. I actually have a QA1 on my Cuda and it has been excellent. I felt the craftsmanship on the HDK was just flat better. And his customer service is beyond good. Again just my opinion but all are superior to stock. But rest assured there are a whole bunch of folks that would disagree with that. However I race and do not focus on restoring thus my opinion to go modern.

When I bought the Whipple for my car, it came with a bit of a custom front cover. So I guess this question does not apply anymore because I might have to wing it from here.

F2E6D23C-F0F9-4800-8CFB-28442F2291A9.jpeg

8693B009-5427-492C-8C94-F1D079E6FADC.jpeg

B3C21F1B-4B80-4084-B858-525B9E706FD8.jpeg

From all the research I’ve done, and I’m not an expert but I believe we need a center sump. I will post a picture of my engine before disassembly. If memory serves me right the truck engine is in fact a rear sump.

View attachment 1715355278

View attachment 1715355279
LMAO pretty sure you are on your own once you start down the Whipple road! Hah! That thing looks like a beast. Certainly does not look like you are going back stock. You should start a build thread. Have fun.

I absolutely had no intention of a shop floor like I ended up with. When my concrete was being finished it got messed up. Something about working it too much and the cream or whatever rising. Anyway a guy I found that had a concrete resurfacing grinder machine also applies this spartacoat product. One thing lead to another and here we are.

6425BC79-0CE5-4C29-AAE3-195A429DD549.jpeg

32A32F19-CF7C-4FF8-A0C8-B7F9B9AC2BC2.jpeg

7903A71C-1914-4A57-9CE4-404F4CDAF571.jpeg

A7F133B5-AD3E-48BC-B2BF-F6EE46C32B5C.jpeg

Last edited:
I absolutely had no intention of a shop floor like I ended up with. When my concrete was being finished it got messed up. Something about working it too much and the cream or whatever rising. Anyway a guy with I found that had a concrete resurfacing grinder machine also applies this spartacoat product. One thing lead to another and here we are.

View attachment 1715355372

View attachment 1715355373

View attachment 1715355374

View attachment 1715355375
Very nice! I never seem to build the right size shop, it always ends up to small. It feels huge right now with the Demon out of the way and out of the rack heading to paint.

IMG_2400.JPG

I have a stock steel truck pan on my 6.1 with an alterkation. Not in the car yet so I am not sure what kind of clearance issues I may have ground wise. I think the sump on it is about 7" deep.

I’m trying to see if using a rear sump/OEM (truck) pan will clear either the QA1 , or even better, the stock K Member. Just seems like the ONLY solution can’t be to buy a Milodon. Some have great success with them but I just keep seeing over and over where individuals have leak problems galore....

-
Back