/6 904 lost rev & neut

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I was trying to adjust the shifting linkage on the slants 904(floor shift) with a small pry bar about 1/2" because the bolt underneath the clamp box was hitting the top of the exhaust. This prevented me from downshifting into 2nd and 1rst. I managed to get some of the needed space but now the trans has lost reverse and neutral. It locks in park after rolling forward a bit but when I go into reverse it drives forward. I didn't hear anything snap or any loud breaking noise so I'm now at a loss. Did I do some major damage to something? I didn't use any excessive pressure to move things. What should I ask if I have to go to a shop? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:banghead:

Start by readjusting your shift linkage.
Loosen the adjuster on the linkage, and put the trans in park.
Put the shifter in park.
Tighten the adjuster.

See if that did it.

do you mean you cant get the shifter on the trans into reverse or do you mean you lost reverse when it is in gear?

He has the linkage out of sync with the trans lever due to changing the geometry.
Thats what I got out of it anyway.
"when I put it in reverse it drives forward"

do you mean you cant get the shifter on the trans into reverse or do you mean you lost reverse when it is in gear?

The adjusting was the first thing I tried so far no luck. When its in Park it still feels like it wants to lurch forward a bit
Then it's not in park! STOP there before you do any more damage! I'd go back & remove the linkage, try to straighten out where it was bent, put the trans through its detens with the linkage still disconnected to verify each gear position is there. Then reinstall your linkage & adjust it as normal. Then go back & adjust or modify the EXHAUST out of the way of the linkage. Good luck.

-
Back