/6 904 to sb 904

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
Ihave a /6 904 with a 7 1/4 rear.and am getting a 904 from a 318 and putting in a 8 3/4. my question is will i still have to cut the drive shaft?

Yes, you will have to. The 8.75 center section is bigger than the 7.25. I'm not sure of the exact length, but yes, you will need to cut it.

My other question is, that it comes with the stock torque convertor. How are these? and is it a waste to put it in? Im tring to save as much money as i can but do want good performance.

My trans guy say's for the money-like $65-the 6 cylinder torque convertor is the best. He claims its a few hundred rpms better than the V8 ones and just as strong. Thats what I have and its not no high stall by any means but I also have the 2.74 first gear and 3.91's in back and a ok 318 so I like how it takes off.

dodge freak said:
My trans guy say's for the money-like $65-the 6 cylinder torque convertor is the best. He claims its a few hundred rpms better than the V8 ones and just as strong. Thats what I have and its not no high stall by any means but I also have the 2.74 first gear and 3.91's in back and a ok 318 so I like how it takes off.
Yes, a six cyl converter will stall approximately at 1800 rpm behind a small block...........kim

Sublime, you never mentioned if you were swapping the /6 out for the 318. I am not 100% sure but, I don't think a v8 904 tranny will bolt to a /6. I think the bellhousing are different.

No i am putting in the 318 with the Schu. motor mounts. are you saying that I can use the /6 torque convertor in the other 904? what are the pros and cons of this? ...Just so I understand this Both convertors ( /6 or v8) will fit. There the same? which will give more torque? my 8 3/4 will have 323 and later maybe 391 gears. Will the /6 one bolt right on?

But which torqe convertor would give me the best torque? the /6 or the v8.The v8 one came out of a stock 73 plymouth sattilite.

-
Back