***6 Blade Water Pump vs 8 Blade??***

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
Ok they say a 6 Blade pump is for Iron Heads and an 8 Blade is for Aluminum heads.

Can someone explain why?

I am going to buy a mechanical pump for my Twin Turbo Build which will mostly be a street car and I am leaning toward the 8 Blade. I am running the RHS Indy X Heads.

I think I have a 6 blade and looking right now to find out what 8 blade I should buy.

Mine starts to heat up in traffic. Have a BeCool aluminum radiator and probably a 180 deg thermostat.

I'm OK with the temp it runs except don't like it to keep climbing as it sits, you never know when you might get stopped in traffic for a long time.

I do have AC but it is aftermarket and have electric fan without a shroud.

Going to check out edelbrock 8 blade

I think I have a 6 blade and looking right now to find out what 8 blade I should buy.

Mine starts to heat up in traffic. Have a BeCool aluminum radiator and probably a 180 deg thermostat.

I'm OK with the temp it runs except don't like it to keep climbing as it sits, you never know when you might get stopped in traffic for a long time.

There is the problem.
Standard rad, standard water pump, no shroud, no clutch fan, etc.
At an idle, you have low water flow and little air flow.

Is your Lower Radiator hose collapsing? Sounds like its possible. Put a Spring in it or go get a good hose that is thick walled.

Or like crackedback says "put a soup can in it with a coat hanger wrapped around it" surely it will not collapse like that!

The factory installed 6 blade water pumps on the AC cars with a pulley ratio that would spin the pump/fan faster to get more air flow through the radiator at low speeds. The non-AC cars got the 8 blade pumps and different pulley ratios that would spin the water pump and fan slower then the AC cars. I run the flow kooler water pump with the non-AC pulley set up.

-
Back