/6 casting numbers

-

moparmarks

zippindippintie
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Where are they? I'm told the slant in my 87 D100 is a 1966 225. Would like to verify that.
Many thanks peeps.

On the block, under #1 spark plug there is markings that indicate engine size and date of manufacture. Also a '87 engine would have the hydraulic cam. If there are adjusters on the rockers it is not a '87 engine. It would be pre '81.

Thanks. Was told it is a 66. Also I'm a dumbass. Just looked at my pictures and vala, there is the casting number.
upload_2022-6-6_18-22-31.jpeg

Your engine is not a 66, if it was there would be only three freeze plugs on it.

It's a 5-freeze plug block so it's 68 or later and not a 170, could be a 198 or 225 the numbers on the deck behind the alternator facing up would help a lot also look for a pad at the rear passenger side of the block facing the fender under #5 and 6 spark plugs it should have a VIN number.

Where do I find the casting date?
There is a "shelf" of the block that sticks out under the alternator. It has a series of numbers stamped in that reveals the engine size and date. They are stamped, not cast.

There is a "shelf" of the block that sticks out under the alternator. It has a series of numbers stamped in that reveals the engine size and date. They are stamped, not cast.
Do I have to remove the alternator to see that shelf? It is one of those little gussets?
upload_2022-6-7_20-14-9.jpeg

It's a 5-freeze plug block so it's 68 or later and not a 170, could be a 198 or 225 the numbers on the deck behind the alternator facing up would help a lot also look for a pad at the rear passenger side of the block facing the fender under #5 and 6 spark plugs it should have a VIN number.
This pad? It is blank.
upload_2022-6-7_20-15-45.jpeg

Do I have to remove the alternator to see that shelf? It is one of those little gussets?
View attachment 1715939022
Yes, you probably will. It's not a gusset. It's part of the block deck that just sticks out from under where the head bolts on. If you just follow the block/head joint, you'll see it. You're probably gonna have to scrape paint and grease off it.

Yes, you probably will. It's not a gusset. It's part of the block deck that just sticks out from under where the head bolts on. If you just follow the block/head joint, you'll see it. You're probably gonna have to scrape paint and grease off it.
Okay I found it. I can see 225 but can't make out the date. I'll pressure wash it.
Thanks buddy.

The valve cover oil fill cap looks like 1960's stuff. Same with the air cleaner.

Ya some of it looks like older stuff. Same with the carb. Does still have the 87 distributor and is actually still running on the computer. Most of the wiring isn't connected to anything and the vapor system is not being used. Has the later starter too. It is really a sweet running little puppy.
upload_2022-6-8_6-17-40.jpeg

Last edited:
If you get that vapor system up and running, you will actually pick up some mileage. Sometimes it a very noticeable amount.

I drove it for the first 3000 miles since I've owned it. Just changed the oil yesterday. Only used 3/4 of a quart in 3000 miles of around town driving. Pretty happy with that. Getting a solid 17-18 mpg in town. Real happy with that. I was thinking about getting the vapor system working to clear up the fuel smell but more milage would be great too..

The numbers on the deck pad are PT225T 22870095
Would still like the find the date. I can see a 2 cast into the block behind the right motor mount.
upload_2022-6-8_14-44-56.jpeg

Did you find the VIN pad at the rear right side of the block, it faces the fender also I think they may have put the pad down by the oil pan rail?

I think there's a way to tell the date from those stamped numbers. Maybe @slantsixdan will help us here.

-
Back