/6 casting numbers

-
Did you find the VIN pad at the rear right side of the block, it faces the fender also I think they may have put the pad down by the oil pan rail?
Nope.
upload_2022-6-8_16-1-54.jpeg

upload_2022-6-8_16-12-36.jpeg

I think it's on the bellhousing area on some slant sixes. I'm honestly not sure. That's why I tagged Dan.

2287 = 1 November 1967: the engine's original build date. That jibes with various details of this engine visible in the picture.
0095 = probably a shift, line, or sequence number which doesn't change the date info.

The manifold heat control valve is stuck in the heat-off position. Get a can of Mopar 4318039AD "rust oil" (do not substitute) and fix it.

Thanks Dan.
So that would a 1968 model year ,correct?
So the valve is closed and restricting the exhaust?

2287 = 1 November 1967: the engine's original build date. That jibes with various details of this engine visible in the picture.
0095 = probably a shift, line, or sequence number which doesn't change the date info.

The manifold heat control valve is stuck in the heat-off position. Get a can of Mopar 4318039AD "rust oil" (do not substitute) and fix it.
Hot dog! Thank you Dan! You're a gentleman and a scholar!

Thanks Dan.
So that would a 1968 model year ,correct?

Yep, if the code is correct (mis-stampings weren't uncommon), this engine originally went in a 1968-model truck. That, too, jibes with the five freeze plugs on the manifold side of the block. Also, if your truck has an automatic transmission, that's a further indication this is not a '67-down engine (smaller crankshaft counterbore won't accept '68-up torque converter nose; large-nose torque converter won't fit '67-down transmission).

The red paint is half a little weird, because most '63-'68 Dodge truck/van 225s were factory-painted yellow, but eh…hot tanks are a thing, and paint comes in spray cans. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So the valve is closed and restricting the exhaust?

No, the \6 valve doesn't work the same way as the V8 valves. There's no "open" or "closed" to it, just heat-on and heat-off. Stuck in either position makes various kinds of badness; it's better all around if it's working correctly.

Okay thanks Dan. It is my understanding that the motor was rebuilt around 15 years ago and has maybe fifteen thousand miles on it when I got it. It has an 833OD behind it. I actually can move the shaft fairly freely. So it just heats the intake manifold I'm gathering, correct?

Not that it matters much, but my info says it was assembled in early May of 1968. The heat riser holds heat under the intake manifold when the engine is cold. This helps ice from forming and helps open the choke faster. When the exhaust manifold heats up, the bimetal spring loses tension and the flap opens. This keeps the intake at a normal temp. and lessens gas boiling in the carb.

-
Back