/6 Fixed Timing w/ Boost

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to tune my turbo slant six setup. I am using a MSD 6530 programmable ignition to control the timing, it will be setup with a 3-bar GM map sensor for boost pressure monitoring to retard the timing.

My questions is should I used one of the lean burn distributors to run fixed timing? As far as I understand these puppies should bolt right but they come in one-pickup and two-pickup configurations. Which one do I need?

Any opinions on if this is a good setup?

Thanks.
Anthony

If I remember correctly, the 2 pick-ups are out of phase of each other. What you might have to do is try one and see where your actual timing comes in at. Try the second. Pick the one that puts you closest to where you need to be.

I looked up the MSD box, but didn't download instructions. They might be able to better direct you to the proper choice.

Mike

Get a hold of dusteridiot on. Org he can set you up with a rebuilt and curved lean burn dizzy with all new hardware for close to the same price as rockauto
Good luck Aaron

Thanks for the feedback.

Since I just got a newer electronic distributor I'm just going to weld up the mechanical advance and set the max timing to start.

On the slant we rotate the dizzy counterclockwise, lefty loosy, to advance, right?

My amateur plan is to set the engine to TDC and then remove and weld up the dizzy, so that it will re-install adjusted so that I have the maximum counter-clockwise adjustment available. I figure I should be able to get 25-30 degrees of advance out of the clock-wise adjustment to set the max initial timing. Then I'll pull it out as needed with the ignition map and MAP sensor managing the boost retard.

Winning plan?

Get the double-pickup unit. Time one for street gas and street boost. Time the other pickup for race gas and higher boost. Thank me later.

Get the double-pickup unit. Time one for street gas and street boost. Time the other pickup for race gas and higher boost. Thank me later.

Good idea. At some point I will make a high-octane/boost map and then just swap the file in the ignition box.

-
Back