/6 to 360 engine question

-

HD72

Reaction score
My 72 Duster has a /6 and I want to swap a v8 to make more power and have great v8 noises. I'm set on a 360 because they are easier to find and can be pretty cheap. My question is do I need a LA 360 or can I use other 360s? I know after 77ish there are different economic editions to the engine to reduce emissions and whatnot. Can I still buy a 360 from any year, get rid of the emission systems that limit power, and still build a fast 360?

360 LA is from '71 through '92. '93-03 are magnums. You can use either. There are some simple things that need to be addressed when going from a /6 to a V8.

Engine mounts, radiator, transmission etc.

well, so much depends on which engine you pick and what it came out of.. but for starters, you'll need...
  1. V8 transmission (small block). If you stick with a 904, great. IF you go 727, great, but you'll need a shorter drive shaft
  2. IF you use the magnum, you'll need the magnum flexplate for balance. IF you use the LA, then you'll either need a balanced torque converter or a balanced flexplate for the 360
  3. You'll need adapting motor mounts to the /6 K-frame or swap the K-frame to a V8
  4. You'll need V8 exhaust
  5. V8 radiator
  6. IF you go magnum, you'll need provisions for fuel supply and a carb intake
  7. IF the motor came from a truck or Van, you'll need a 360 oil pan and pickup tube

Magnum looks like a 90s truck engine. LA Looks like it belongs in there. (Small details) more power potential in the Magnum but the LA has been plenty of fun in my ‘65 Valiant!

You will also need the correct A body exhaust manifolds or headers, alternator, power steering, and AC compressor brackets, belts, hoses, fan, shroud, fuel line, throttle springs, Kickdown linkage, transmission lines, etc if the replacement motor doesn’t have them. You can probably use the /6 accelerator cable.

-
Back