/6 Torsion Bar Removal Help (with picture)

-

ADHD426

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of swapping out my k-member. I have taken off the back retaining clip and the sucker won't budge. What I am trying to do is take off the pivot bolt of the LCA so I can push the LCA back and pop the torsion bar out. Is this the LCA pivot bolt in the picture?

IMG_5042.jpg

Yes, that is the LCA pivot bolt. However if you remove the nut and drive the LCA back it will still not help you to separate the torsion bar from the lower control arm. I have always found it beneficial to find a tool (or fabricate one) that will clamp to the torsion bar and allow you to drive the torsion bar rearward to separate it from the LCA joint. The problem I have always had is once you remove the nut and pull the torsion bar back out of the cross member mount then you have the torsion bar and the LCA hanging loose under the car and now have nothing to pry against or to hold the LCA while you try to separate the torsion bar from it.

I see no mention of fully backing off height adjuster bolts. It does not take much force applied to bar to bind it in place making removal & reinstalling difficult. All tension must be relived from lower control arm’s height adjustment bolt, loosen strut rod, and lower control arm mounting nut. By allowing lower control arm to be flopping lose, torsion bar will release from lower control arm much easier.

If you find it necessary to pound on end of lower control arm shaft, remove its nut, flip it over, and reinstall back on until face of nut and end of shaft are flush with each other, thus protecting shaft’s threads and mushrooming of shaft.

Also if rear bar mount’s gasket is ripped, road grit & rust will make moving bar rearward a hard job as well calling for lots of PB Blaster. If reusing these bars, do not score them with jaws of pipe wrench, vice grips, etc. while dislodging them, as this will cause weak spot and possible future failure of bar.

-
Back