/6 uninstall questions?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I am in the process of taking out my slant 6 for an exchange of a couple hundred more horse power.

During the process, I have a couple questions...

1. Do I need the charcoal canister? I just want to clean up the engine bay, and it's just in the way and ugly.

2. I had to stop because I didn't have a socket to fit the engine mount bolts. Does anyone know what size that is? Also the size for the bolt for the tranny mount.

3. Should I take the tranny out while still attached to the engine?

4. With the /6 where is it safe to bolt the chain too?

5. It HAD air conditioning but I removed it, and left the condenser in. Should that now be removed, or is that just added protection for the radiator??

6. Will I need to remove to grill when I pull the engine?

I think that might be all for now. If anyone had anything else to warn me about please let me know. I have the drive shaft out and everything already. I think all that is left is the engine mount bolts, and Tranny bolts, and It should be ready to go.

Thanks Much guys!

There are 2 threaded bosses on the head on the manifold side right beside the valve cover that were put there to lift the engine and have good balance. I'll post a pic when I find it in my computer.

Here you go. The bolts are 3/8" coarse thread that were used to bolt the trans to the block. Not real sure but I think the mount nuts are 3/4" or 13/16". Hope this helps.

Slant hoist chain 003.jpg

Slant hoist chain 003.jpg

That does help! Did you keep the tranny attached to the engine when you pulled it?
Do you have to take off the Alternator too, or can that all go with it?

Thanks!

I installed my slant with the transmission attached, so the reverse process will work just fine. If you have no A/C anymore, there's no good reason to leave the condenser. In some states, in order to get inspected, the vehicle must retain the emissions equipment it originally came with - namely the charcoal canister. No need to remove the grill since it is in front of the radiator support - just remove the radiator.

Jerry

if you do remove tranny from the engine which i think is easier you will need to unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate. if you dont you will have to pull the engine to far forward and will probably hit the radiator

Yeah I am taking the slant six out of my car and we are pulling the transmission with it.

grumpuscreature helped with the locations for the lift points when I was attaching the hoist.
(hoist didn't work so the engine is still there though until this weekend)

yea, kind of makes me mad I didn't have the right size socket for the motor mount bolts. I could have had it out already! D*mn it!
I could be cleaning the engine bay already! :angry5:

I've always unbolted the accessories (alternator, PS pump, AC compressor) and laid them on the fender wells for reuse. Don't see why you can't pull them with the engine if you want to. I've also made it a point to pull the engine and transmission as a unit because it's a lot easier to unbolt the transmission from the engine when it is out of the car. If you do pull them as a unit, it goes a lot smoother if you remove the transmission crossmember.

You think pulling the engine you could do yourself? I have off tomorrow, and my friends all have to work. SO I'm just wondering if this is worth me tiring myself?

It's relativly simple to remove the slant, i've had it out in under an hour. If you have basic mechanical skills you will have it out in a few hours. All by myself no help..

TF

Charcoal can purges fumes from the tank and carburetor, then releases them back to be burned when the motor is restarted. This costs no horsepower and controls evap emissions. Loosing it would require retrofitting earlier style tank vent and using an earlier style carburetor with a direct to atmosphere bowl vent. This means your car is no longer in compliance with state and federal smog laws, and might not be allowed to be relicensed.

Bad plan! If it bothers you THAT much, hide the damn thing is a fender somewhere, but don't be surprised when you get gigged the same as if you didn't have one, because the powers that be don't find it out in plain sight, and won't go looking for it.

Darn it! Why didn't you guys tell me to take off the tranny crossmember?

I was sitting there going??? WTF? Glad I didn't break nothing before I figured it out!:toothy3:

DSC01207pt2.jpg

Nice Work I Did The Same Thing A Few Weeks Back But I Added A Big Block Instead

-
Back