/6 when hitting the accelerator...

-

tribalturtle2

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my /6 225 in the 68 Valiant. When I'm at a stop light or out of it, i'll hit the accelerator lightly and the engine acts like its dying out or going to stall. now if I punch it to the floor theres no problem. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? maybe needs a fuel filter replaced or maybe water in the gas tank and its might be sucking it up. Because after a while it will disappear and the accelaration will be fine and then it starts up again.

Thank you,
Corey S.

Accelerater pump. A carb rebuild kit contains one. Sad that they cant be found seperately. When unleaded fuels first appeared this was a super wide spread problem. Mopars were choking down in intersections, on railroad tracks, everywhere. :(

Might need to increase the throw on the accelerator pump so it starts pumping sooner. Had to adjust that on mine. Good luck. Mike

there are 3 settings on the acelerator pump you might try the more "aggresive" setting. FSM is your friend .

Has it always done this or did it just start?

If this is a new problem, think about what you monkeyed with last and put it back. If you haven't changed anything, then it is reasonable to assume something broke. You need to fix what broke, and not misadjust something else in hopes that it masks the real problem.

A failed vacuum advance unit (or vacuum leak) will cause this exact symptom. Test and/or replace the vac advance unit and vacuum line.

When was the last time you gave the car a thorough tune up? I would only consider rebuilding the carb after a thorough tune up (points, plugs, cap, wires, filters and PCV valve)

A clogged fuel filter will hurt you under high loads, not part throttle.

If the spark advance failed the slant 6 will surely spark rattle under a load.
New cap ,points, rotor, for a 40 year old distributer is a waste of time and money. A reman'd ditributer is a much wiser coin toss.
Accerater pump is easy enough to check. Look down through the carb air horn and open the throttle by hand. If the movement doesn't produce a squirt.... there's your sign. :)
You dont have to totally rebuild the carb to replace the accelerater pump. Just wash the carb good with parts cleaner before you take the top off.
Use the pump, gasket, etc.. needed from the kit. Good luck

I have never seen a vacuum advance fail in the advanced position.

You would replace a distributor because the points wore out?!?

If the accelerator pump plunger is worn out, rebuild the whole carb. Why not completely clean and disassemble the whole thing since it is out.

I think he's saying that after 40 years the bushings in the distributor are probably gone. That will cause an erratic timing situation. Don't ask me how i know! LOL Mike

Right on, well the gas pedal issue has gone back to normal but im going to go through it with my dad on Thursday evening or on the weekend! I'll show him what everyone said and see what he thinks. He used to work for his Uncle as a mechanic in West Chicago by the railroad yard there when his Uncle had the shop there. Thank you everyone for the help, greatly appreciated!

Well my Dad and I looked and worked on the car this weekend! Patched my floor on the drivers side, installed some lights in the front left turn signal and the license plate. I took it in for the front end to get realigned and two new front tires. My Dad and I repacked the front bearings. Replaced some hoses going from the fuel filter to the carb. Cars running a lot better now and the accelaration issue stopped before all of that. Maybe just an intermittent issue. Also replaced the locking gas cap because the seal on the old one was cracked all over, so maybe a little water or condensation in the fuel, maybe thats why my engine was stalling a little. But I'm going to look into a tune up asap!

-
Back