'60-'62 Brake Return Spring

-

Powerflite

Reaction score
Hello any '60-'62 Valiant or Lancer owners. My '61 Lancer doesn't have a brake return spring on it and forces me to pull up on the brake pedal every time I use them or else the brakes will drag and my brake light will stay on after I park etc. How is the return spring supposed to be setup on these cars? Can someone post a picture of it? This is driving me nuts.

I tried doing a homemade version, but in order to get enough pull at the top, it pulls too much when I use the brakes so that it limits the braking force. Not good. So I haven't had much luck trying to make my own. I need some kind of over-center setup, I think, so it pulls hard when I need it, but doesn't when I am using the brakes.

Shouldn't need a return spring. Mine had an issue where the brakes would drag after driving it for a period of time. Turns out the plate that held the piston in the master wasn't flat letting it return too far blocking the compensation ports. I suspect it got bent when some one pulled on the pedal trying to remove the master. Careful pulling up on the pedal. If someone didn't put the retainer on the push rod, it could fall out.

-
Back