60 Valiant fuel tank resto

-

rothsauce

Reaction score
After a few years of being able to do jack all , was finally able to drop the tank a few weeks ago and see what the damage is. Have had this car for about 3 years now and haven't been able to make much progress until very recently. The undercarriage has been caked in mud - gas tank included.

The good - seems the mud has preserved a lot of the metal underneath. There is some heavy rust on one side but so far it has been cleaning up fairly well. Some of the metal is pitted but no holes yet (fingers crossed there won't be any).

The bad - the inside wasn't drained before the last owner stored it in 86'. The inside has varnish at the least, and seems there is rust too. Will be cleaning it out regardless to see how bad it is.

There is one part that I'm curious about, where the sending unit locks in is pretty rusted but still cleaning up. One part looks like some rust got under the locking ring and built up. Is this a part that can be replaced if need be? Complete novice and kinda just going at it mostly blind. Photos for ref. Will get a better pic of the specific issue later.
20170924_155611.jpg
20170924_155624.jpg
20170924_155639.jpg
20170921_111327.jpg
20170923_175000.jpg

I wouldn't mess with trying to remove the ring on the tank. The pics show a clean surface for the sending unit gasket and sender to seal to the tank. As long as you can get the lock ring on and turn it and lock in place, your good to go. Don't use a aftermarket lock ring as they don't seal as tight. A fellow FABO member sells NOS lock rings on this site. Good luck with the tank project as there are no repops made. I did see NOS sending units for your '60 on Ebay.

-
Back